PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail Post Box in Boundary Wall

Options
We are looking at a house which has a Royal Mail Post Box in the front boundary wall. I know this wall is the responsibility of the owner but does anyone know if there is any legal responsibility to Royal Mail? i.e. if the wall fell down would we be liable for any costs?

Current owners are unaware and solicitor does not immediately know.

Thanks

Comments

• picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You need to speak to the the Royal Mail Collection Manager in your local postal district in the first instance. They are responsible for maintaining post boxes, etc. If you aren't getting suitable responses from them, you can also contact the National Street Furniture Manager at Royal Mail.

You are within your rights to request that Royal Mail remove it. If it's not listed or of local historical interest they are required by law to remove it within a reasonable period. If your wall is listed they will apply for listied building consent to remove it. If it is of local historical value, they will leave it in situ but seal it up and take it out of use.
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Southend1
    Southend1 Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds handy, wish royal mail would put a postbox in my front wall! :cool:

I wonder if they pay a fee to the homeowner for the use of the wall? Post back and let us know what you find out.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Lots of info here: http://www.helm.org.uk/upload/pdf/Royal%20Mail%20Letter%20Boxes.%20A%20joint%20policy%20statement%20by%20Royal%20Mail%20and%20English%20Heritage_2002.pdf

It basically reads to me that the Royal Mail maintain full responsibility for the post box, so I guess if the wall were to collapse, they'd coordinate with your contractor to fit a new post box as soon as possible.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get £28 per year for the priviledge of having an elecricity pole just inside the boundary of my front garden.
  • jimbo_the_jetset
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I did see that pdf previously thanks.

Tried Royal Mail general enquiries who didn't have a clue. Even referred me to their contractor Romec who deals with maintenance. Will try the street furniture contact number on that pdf next.

Surprised there is not something out there which is written down regarding liabilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure