No redundancy confirmation letter (amongst other things)

Options
Hi

Can anybody advise what the legal obligation time wise is for an employer to give you written notice / confirmation of redundancy once they have told you verbally if in your contract it says that employment can be terminated by 'giving notice in writing'. There is a clause allowing PILON.

I was told over a week ago that I was being made redundant with immediate effect following consultation on a restructure. A letter and appeal details were promised but nothing has been provided despite me sending a chasing email. This is a large company who are not 'disappearing'.

There are lots of other elements which will likely push things to a tribunal for Unfair Dismissal due to failings in the consultation process but I would like to try and understand the legal take on not giving me written confirmation within a reasonable timescale, especially if it adds weight to my case.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Umm :think:

Comments

• Umm
    Options
    Anybody???
  • Ewarwoowar2
    Options
    It would seem from your post, although, it is difficult to understand, that your employer has given you verbal notice, but your employment contract requires written notice of termination.

If this is the case, then your employer has failed to give you valid notice of termination. Until they do you, the notice period in your contract will not begin.
    I am an employment solicitor. However, my views should not be taken to be legal advice. It's difficult to give correct opinion based on the information given by posters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure