We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

buying a house - consequential loss due to delays

Hello

I'll try and keep it short...

In May we had an offer accepted on a property on the condition we were able to complete quickly. It was a deceased estate and an executor was appointed to handle the sale.

We made a decision to rent out house in order to meet the condition, however within a week we were approached and ask if we wanted to sell our house and they were in a position to move asap. We agreed and proceeded to sell our house and move in with family.

We need to port our mortgage as our redemption penalties were very high and have 3 months to complete on the house we are endeavouring to buy. We found out a month ago that the property has not been registered with land registry nor do any title deeds exist for the property or land. The executor/solicitor has now got to apply for adverse possession (don’t really want to get in to the details of this), however it seems that he delayed this action for 2 months.

We are now in a position that we will lose the substantial redemption penalties due to the delays caused and that we were not made aware of. We have asked the mortgage company if they can extend the period, however they have refused.

Can we claim consequential loss from the estate due to the delays and issues with the property

Any help appreciated

Comments

  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Short answer is almost certainly: no.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    No: you have no contract with anyone at present and nothing is set in stone until you exchange. You chose to move whilst in the redemption period, you chose to sell up not let your home. The whole point of solicitors is that they check the paperwork as part of the conveyancing, which they have done.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.