We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling at fairs - help!

Options
I am wanting to sell some of my bakes at market fairs. I wrote to the environmental health who confirmed that they will need to inspect my kitchen and certify it.

I live in a rented apartment! Is there any reason the landlord can refuse to let me get the kitchen certified? I can't see why because all it means is that it is a hygienically clean kitchen, but just wondering if he can refuse to let me do it.

Any ideas please?

Comments

• MacsReturns
    Options
    I can't imagine the landlord can have any say over it, all you need is an inspection and abide by some rules. The only way it might upset the landlord is if you have to change any fittings. There's a good guide here: http://www.canterbury.gov.uk/main.cfm?objectid=1928

(I'm not in Canterbury, it just came up high on google ;))
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone - Thoreau
  • Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will need to check that there is nothing in your lease about operating a business at the premises, you will also need to inform your home insurance, they may not pay out if you burn the place down, also your landlord will need to notify his insurance company too (as he will have the buildings insured, while you have the contents insured).

Don't forget you will also need public and product liabilty insurance, you will also have to inform the tax office.
  • Charityworker
    Options
    He/she isnt operating a business from the premises though. All they are doing is a bit of baking. The business is being operated from fairs.
  • Jo_F
    Options
    It still counts as operating a business though as the materials for the business are made in the property.
  • nish50
    Options
    I've just checked with teh letting agent and they say the landlord shouldn't have to give permission! I would have thought I'm not operating from home so it should be ok.
  • Jo_F
    Options
    You are operating from home, I make jewellery at home, I sell it at fairs, but it's still classed as operating the business from home, all my insurance is registered to my home, even the tax man classes it as being run from the home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure