We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is Extra Income Really Possible?

Options
Just pondering this section and wondered in the UK if there is really a reasonable way to earn a second (or third) income without resorting to pyramid schemes, click-throughs or similar?

Or is it just smarter to put extra hours in at work instead....?

Comments

• elliemoo
    elliemoo Posts: 4,593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just pondering this section and wondered in the UK if there is really a reasonable way to earn a second (or third) income without resorting to pyramid schemes, click-throughs or similar?

Some people don't have the option of extra hours so anything that can turn a few pounds, legally, is worth considering.
  • Shak1rak
    Options
    When you learn the answer to this let me know lol x

Any extra income very much appreciated :))
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Where I work we can't get money for extra hours (we get time off in lieu instead). I also can't get another job because of the time I spend working/commuting. I do things like surveys/ebay etc just to earn a bit of extra pocket money rather than a second income.
  • SchminkyCat
    Options
    It depends what you class as a second income. I am self employed. Putting in the extra hours at work doesn't get me any extra pay if I don't have the clients! So in the evenings when I am not doing anything else (and can't go out and get a part time job as I have 2 young children and no childcare in the evenings) I do things like surveys, article writing, blog writing etc and I get paid for it.

I started in mid June and have earned just over £450. So its not going to make me millions, but its a decent amount to cover kiddies birthdays and all the expense of Christmas, without having to dip into our standard weekly budget.
  • shmeeko69
    Options

Absolutely, and you can even aim to make it a first income and free yourself from your employer.

I've always found blogging to be a great way to earn decent affiliate commissions and have several blogs on fitness and technology products that earn me good returns. There are a variety of free sites like Blogger, Freewebs, Facebook Notes, Google Sites, Wordpress who allow you to start a free blog and are user friendly. They are all crawled by Google continuously and have a high PR ranking.

I know it's not pratical for everyone to up sticks and leave their employer, but I always think of the saying "Why be a servant to someone when you can be it's master". This certainly keeps me motivated in the online world. :beer:
    Lao Tzu - "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime"

Derek Bok - "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
  • oldharryrocks
    oldharryrocks Posts: 533 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2012 at 10:58AM
    Options
    Just pondering this section and wondered in the UK if there is really a reasonable way to earn a second (or third) income without resorting to pyramid schemes,

You would have a hard job earning from Pyramid Schemes because they are not allowed in UK.;)

But if your actually referring to Network Marketing/ Direct Selling i know a few people who make a reasonable income from it.
  • southerndave
    Options
    Money for blogging really? Can you explain how? I have written lots of blog posts and articles but for hobbies rather than for earning and wasn't aware of being able to earn from them!?

I am fortuneatly (or not dependent on your view) able to put in overtime at work whenever I like pretty much, hence my initial question. That said, of course, I'd rather earn from home and be comfortable and surround by my family than 10 miles away in bus depot!

Be interested in advice re-articles and blogging and similar pc based activities that genuinely earn a couple of quid then and thanks very much for the ideas so far, appreciated!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'd be interested in how people earn money from blogging, if someone would kindly drop me an inbox message, or explain on this thread?

I have just started selling a few of my bits and bobs that i no longer want or need and earnt barely anything on eBay.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I'd be interested in how people earn money from blogging, if someone would kindly drop me an inbox message, or explain on this thread?
    Money for blogging really? Can you explain how? I have written lots of blog posts and articles but for hobbies rather than for earning and wasn't aware of being able to earn from them!?

Add adverts. Google Adsense makes it easy.
  • Hoody
    Hoody Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Pound wrote: »
    Add adverts. Google Adsense makes it easy.

That's the easy part, getting the traffic to your site is the difficult bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure