No medical, put straight onto support group. ESA.

Options
I recieved a phone call today which i missed but knew it was from ESA. i rang back straight away and asked what the phone call was about. I was then told that from the 26th of september i would receive £119 odd per week as i have been put into the support group part of ESA. which has totally confused me. i sent my medical booklet off at the end of July which i filled in all to do with my medcial condition which is anxiety and depression.

i was sat wondering just last week that im pretty sure its past the 13 week period and was thinking why havent i been contacted about my medical? but then have received this phone call today confirming that i am in the support group for ESA

can anyone explain to me what happens in the support group? do i still have to see my GP for medical notes? do i have to attend any meetings etc? all that i was told was my money would go up from £56 odd a week to £119 odd a week. any information would be much appreciated. thank you.

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    You no longer have to send in fit notes from your GP. You don't have to attend any meetings such as Work Focused Interviews unless you want to.

Don't know if its contribution or income based but unlike the WRAG there is no time limit on receiving it whereas there is a limit of only one year contribution based in the WRAG.

Until the next time you are reviewed you just need to concentrate on your health.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • JayWoff88
    Options
    it would be much better on me getting better at home rather than going to see my GP every so often with the way i am at the minute. i was just shocked thats all i thought id of had a letter or something thats all.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Although you no longer need to see your GP for fit notes I would suggest that regular care from your GP is still needed. You'll probably get a letter to confirm the decision re ESA.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • JayWoff88
    Options
    will i get told how long ill be on support group ESA?
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    JayWoff88 wrote: »
    will i get told how long ill be on support group ESA?

You will not be informed of this routinely in any letters.
    Any 'end' dates mentioned are usually quite random.
    You can in principle ask what your 'prognosis' date is.

It may be worth getting a copy of your file.
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/privacy-policy/data-protection/ I believe it should be mentioned on the 'ES85A' - which is the report from 'medical services' (ATOS) on your condition.
  • Dekota
    Dekota Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    JayWoff88 wrote: »
    I recieved a phone call today which i missed but knew it was from ESA. i rang back straight away and asked what the phone call was about. I was then told that from the 26th of september i would receive £119 odd per week as i have been put into the support group part of ESA. which has totally confused me. i sent my medical booklet off at the end of July which i filled in all to do with my medcial condition which is anxiety and depression.

i was sat wondering just last week that im pretty sure its past the 13 week period and was thinking why havent i been contacted about my medical? but then have received this phone call today confirming that i am in the support group for ESA

can anyone explain to me what happens in the support group? do i still have to see my GP for medical notes? do i have to attend any meetings etc? all that i was told was my money would go up from £56 odd a week to £119 odd a week. any information would be much appreciated. thank you.
    Do you also have a claim for DLA? I think in the instance that you have a DLA claim in which theres some evidence held that you have a long term condition, the dwp use that evidence for esa too and so atos don't play any part in the decision. Just speculation on my part
  • Muttleythefrog
    Options
    As above.. no more sicknotes required as you've now been assessed for the main phase of the benefit... you've passed your WCA (Work capability assessment). THe assessment will often include a face to face medical with ATOS HC but in this instance they've decided sufficient information/evidence was available already. What you'll probably find though is that the DWP did consult ATOS and an ESA85A report produced.. that report you should request a copy of from DWP... it is likely to explain how you qualified for Support Group (as DWP probably accepted the ATOS advice i nthe report) and it should contain a prognosis which may well indicate timing of next assessment. It is possible an ESA113 form was compelted by your GP upon request of ATOS... if so it'll probably be referred to in the ESA85A.. I'd try to get a copy of the ESA113 if it exists.

As for letters....lol... this is DWP... sadly letters regarding ESA are a really big problem.. not sent.. wrongly sent... sent with wrong information.. to be honest you've done well to receive a phone call giving decision...lol.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure