We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

I have a money making idea - Taking photos for people for college

Options
I am currently in college studying level 3 childcare.However I love photography and was thinking about an idea to raise a little more cash as i have to save up for a family holiday.

I was thinking about helping college students by taking photo's of their work or creations (such as hair dressing or beauty)
and charging for it, I won't charge a lot, I was thinking about £5 for the whole "shoot".

I don't have a studio or can afford to create/rent a studio,
but most of my work is natural.

Also, if i did do this, would it be legal to do cash in hand or would i have to say i'm self employed? Its not for a proper job, its just to earn extra money on the side.

Would you think this would be okay or would work?
SavingsRepayment: £0/£359.00
GeneralSavings: £244.01/£1000+ Dec 15

SPC#1435 £10.29
(£0 banked - waiting for nov 29th to start again hehe)
NOV NSD 9/10

:rudolf:

Comments

• bob_a_builder
    Options
    "thinking about £5 for the whole "shoot"."

I thought you said you had a money making idea !
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a business, it's FULL.... unfortunately, full of fail.

Yes, it's a good idea - but for heaven's sake price it correctly and register at HMRC.

If you charge £5/hour nobody will ever value your work, you'll just be abused by fr33loaders and people who want something for nothing.

Do it properly, or don't do it at all.

£5 ... I ask you ......
  • charleybear
    Options
    Well how much would you say ?
    I want it to be affordable for them but profit for me ?
    SavingsRepayment: £0/£359.00
    GeneralSavings: £244.01/£1000+ Dec 15

SPC#1435 £10.29
    (£0 banked - waiting for nov 29th to start again hehe)
    NOV NSD 9/10

:rudolf:
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,402 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    College students can afford nothing at all, they tend to get mates with a camera to do it for them and return the favour another way. It never pays to target people for a business idea who have no money.

As for declaring this to HMRC, I honestly feel there should be compulsory lessons about tax and finance- my children and their uni friends are the same , they haven't got a clue about the legalities of trading. The idea that cash in hand is in any way legal is a common thought, and completely wrong i'm afraid.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • SchminkyCat
    Options
    I must admit that i'm not sure you'll get much business i'm afraid. In my line of work I often work with college students who are training in hair and make-up courses. We all collaborate on photo shoots - I provide the accessories for free, they do the hair and make up for free, the photographer is usually a college student, and they do the shoot for free, and my models are usually starting out and will model for free. Everyone pays their own costs, and we all get the images in a disk to use free of charge. That way we all benefit by increasing our portfolios. There is no way I would pay someone £5 for taking snapshots of my work when I could take them myself for free, or get a college student who is studying photography to do it for free. (sorry!)

I also occasionally pay for a professional shoot and these usually work out around £1000 for a day's shooting. (that's just the photographer, doesn't include any payment for professional hair/makeup or models)
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's quite a long thread on this forum about making money from selling photos etc, unfortunately it's a saturated market. Nowadays with DSLR's being affordable everyone is prepared to have ago.

One thing I would say is that if you are genuinely interested in photography this would be a prime opportunity to build your portfolio working for free and retaining the copyrights to the image so you are able to showcase your talents.

There are an abundance of websites which can give you hints and tips on the photography business and making a start. DO a quick google for Outlaw Photography, James Taylor is based in the states but his advice is applicable to the UK and very good. In terms of getting by with the equipment you've got and techniques for outside studio condition have a look for snapchick, again based in the states but the some technically useful information.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    The idea that cash in hand is in any way legal is a common thought, and completely wrong i'm afraid.

Who says cash in hand is not legal? Point me to the legal statute.

I pay my newsagent cash, I pay my garage cash, I pay cash to go to the cinema. What is not legal about this?

My son is a tradesman some customers pay him cash, how is that not legal?

Provide all earnings and income are declared to HMRC there is nothing illegal about cash payments, you are just scaremongering.

If you think you are right point to the legal statutes.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I imagine the OP is talking about "cash in hand" as off the books, eg no deduction for tax NI etc. Not cash purchases.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • SchminkyCat
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    Who says cash in hand is not legal? Point me to the legal statute.

I pay my newsagent cash, I pay my garage cash, I pay cash to go to the cinema. What is not legal about this?

My son is a tradesman some customers pay him cash, how is that not legal?

Provide all earnings and income are declared to HMRC there is nothing illegal about cash payments, you are just scaremongering.

If you think you are right point to the legal statutes.

I think that the legal part of that was regarding the legality of undeclared cash in hand. The context of the phrase by the OP was cash in hand OR registering as self employed as two seperate options, and it is this that Soolin was replying to. Cash in hand is NOT legal if not declared to HMRC.
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Charleybear,
    I work as a photographer, tbh I wouldn't see the point in charging £5 for a shoot even for a bit on the side - by the time you've travelled, organised everyone, set up, shot and edited the photos afterwards then you're getting into several hours. Add into that the fact that you really should be declaring any additional income to HMRC and it starts to look like working for about £1 an hour! You could get a couple of hours in a min wage job and make much more.
    You get a lot of 'student' photographer offering to do things like this for free to build up their portfolios. I would suggest if you're actually serious about getting into it then do a few of these and when you have a stronger portfolio then can look at charging a decent rate for shoots - though students may not be your best market as they tend to want things as cheap as poss, if not free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure