insurance when working from home

Can any one help. I sell greetings cards from home. it involves no visitors to the house and I have 2 boxes of stock. Have read my contents insurance and it says I do not have to tell them if I don;t have visitors, employ anyone at the property and the work is clerical. I only process the orders. The insurnace ins with Halifax.

Do I need to tell them? Does anyone have any experience of this? Also who would insure this?

thanks in advance
:T Quidco - £210.12:j

Comments

• regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Its more to do with visitors
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You should also tell them though-

You may be an increased risk though because people may know that you carry/store goods on the premises. Also, do not expect them to cover any business stock in the event of an incident.
  • Yeah business stock or cash will probably not be covered. An insurer tends to ask if there is any business use at home. If they asked and weren't advised it could potentially invalidate certain claims. I would let them know that there is minimal business use in the home. It means that the details are accurate and should keep you safe. I't probably won't put the price up or anything so I wouldn't worry about that.
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 220
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You should tell them as insurance companies like any excuse to refuse claims if they can.

If you have problems try Coventry HomeCover (run on behalf of Coventry Building Society - you do not have to be a member). We have people coming to the house for private lessons and they covered us without any extra premium, so they may well be happy with your situation.

The number is 0845 3665500.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They cannot decline a claim for breaking the underwriting conditions (which this is), only for a claim either breaking the exclusions or not being covered.

What they can do however, is either void the policy (it never existed in the first place, you pay back any monies gained under the policy) or cancel it, which will be from the date that the business started being done at home.

Note however they can only void the policy if they can prove that they would not have covered you in the first place, so a cancellation is more likely.
    Yeah business stock or cash will probably not be covered

Theres no two ways about it- business stock WILL NOT be covered unless it specifically states it will do on a contents policy, and every contents wording I've seen states the items are something of a personnel nature. Most even specifically exclude them by name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure