Replace Inspiron laptop HDD

Options
HLK
HLK Posts: 978 Forumite
Hi.
I have an Inspiron 9300 around 18 months old. After suffering a blue scree a few times .. with unmountable boot drive msg.. and running diagnostics - it lokks like I will have to replace the hard disk drive. Bad sectors present with 1000-0142 message.

Well i am quite happy to try this myself ( with hubbys help - hardware ) - can anyone suggest how I can

1, establish the best replacement
2, what the max capacity I can put in
3, where do I start

curenntly I have a 60gb 7200rp ATA/100 HDD.

The laptop is used in the main for games and media. It is running XP pro.

Any help appreciated ...
thanks
HLK

"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!

Comments

• Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Options
    Is the laptop still under warranty?

Even if it is out of warranty, contacts Dell and complain, stating that a hard drive should last longer than 18 months.

If you get nowhere with Dell, try the drive manufacturer. I know some will just swap it for you, no questions asked. You are required to return the faulty drive.

Good luck. :)
  • HLK
    Options
    Thanks - good idea never thought of that. I also remeber extedning the warranty in response to a selling call from them .. although the support website does not show it. I waill wait till the phone lines open Monday before I do anything. Meanwhile I guees it would be prudent for me to do my research on replacing it .
    HLK

• murphy61
    murphy61 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    I replaced the hard drive on my inspiron 5100 recently. I got the replacement from http://www.laptopbits.co.uk

I got the biggest I could afford - 120gb. The old one was 60gb.
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    Avoriaz wrote: »

If you get nowhere with Dell, try the drive manufacturer. I know some will just swap it for you, no questions asked. You are required to return the faulty drive.

Good luck. :)

Most drive manufacturers will tell you where to go since the HDD was sold OEM to Dell.

I was sold a used drive (extremely cheaply) which developed a fault and when I tried to check its warranty status with the manufacturer it turned out to have been an OEM drive, supplied to a manufacturer of systems so warranties did not apply.
  • HLK
    Options
    So, once I get a new drive can anyone suggest the steps \i need to take to get the laptop back to a useable system ? I am a little worried about all the drivers erc held on the current drive.. should I be trying to copy / mirro r this first ?
    HLK

• Toxteth_OGrady
    Toxteth_OGrady Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Most new disks come with an OEM utility for imaging an old disk onto the new one. Or you could use this. Link

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • ABH_3
    ABH_3 Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Options
    Most new disks come with an OEM utility for imaging an old disk onto the new one. Or you could use this. Link

:cool:

TOG

.... yeah and don't forget theres a how to as well:
    'How to' is here: http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tutorials...subsectionid=0

I hope the author of this piece of software appreciates the number of times I've posted that link around the internet :D
    It could have been worse. At least source code's not combustible, or you can bet somebody at McAfee would have lit it.
  • Lakeuk
    Lakeuk Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Replacing the harddisk is simple

1- Remove battery as recommended by Dell
    2- Unscrew (2 screws) that hold the harddisk caddy
    3- Pull HDD caddy from laptop
    4- Unscrew (4 screws) on caddy and remove HHD
    5- Attach new HHD and do the above in reverse

Your laptop will take the maximum anyone can sell at the moment, just buy one with the same interface as the current HHD

https://www.ebuyer.com sell (looking the 2.5" HDD section):-
    100Gb HHD current spec for £91.71
    160Gb HHD for £74.17, only difference is it's slightly slower at 5400rpm

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/cat/Hard-Drives/subcat/Notebook-2.5".
    (include the . in the link above)

laptopbits looks very over priced
  • wakandem
    wakandem Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    Have you done a disk check. Tick all the options and it will want to do it on boot up. Try that at least before you condem the drive.
    Nudge nudge, Wink wink, Say No More!
  • HLK
    Options
    wakandem wrote: »
    Have you done a disk check. Tick all the options and it will want to do it on boot up. Try that at least before you condem the drive.

Thanks - I tried this and now find myself in a CHKDSK loop.
    The CHKDSK hangs on step 5 of 5 - verifying free space.
    I can't fire up windows - even from the disk that came with the laptop, as it always wants to run chkdsk. Because it doesn't end the, flag isn't reset. The only dos promt that I can get is via the recovery module.. and the commands in that are limited. :confused:

Dell have agreed to send me a new hard drive.. just need a way of getting my photos off there first ..

any help appreciated ..
    HLK

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure