PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Funding a deposit when buying

Options
My solicitors office is shut for the weekend so I wonder if anybody on the board could help me out with a deposit question.

When 10% deposits are mentioned in the contracts it asks if my deposit is to be funded by my buyers deposit. I ticked yes but this will still leave me short of £3800 for the deposit to my seller.

I've budgeted for fees, sdlt, moving etc but had assumed that the extra mortgage i'm taking out plus the equity from my house sale would cover the the rest.

Will I need to send a cheque to the solicitor for the extra £3800 before completion and before the bank releases the the extra funds for me?

Comments

• benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    You might be able to negotiate a reduced deposit of 5% which would resolve your problem, otherwise your solicitor will need the £3800 on exchange - unless you exchange and complete on the same day in which case deposits become meaningless.

Your solicitor might take payment by credit card for a small fee.
  • AndrewSmith
    AndrewSmith Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    It is perfectly normal for your deposit and legal costs to be funded entirely from the equity in your sale.

Your solicitor will be on top of this already. Nothing to worry about but a quick call to your solicitor on Monday morning should put your mind at rest.
  • Alfie1999
    Alfie1999 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business