Advice please - Bump in Car - Fault

Hi there

Yesterday my friend was behind a woman in a Senic people carrier at a junction coming out of the local Asda waiting to pull out.

He was looking up the road when he heard and felt a thump.

He says the woman backed up into his car, perhaps she pulled too far forward at the junction

She got out and said that he had crept forward not looking and and smacked into her.

His car is totally unmarked but there as a 4 inch crack along the top of her bumper.

He was in a bit confused and startled and traffic was tooting them to move. So he gave her his name and phone number.

He has heard nothing so far but was at work all day.

Any idea what will happen, will he need to pay his £200 excess ?

Cheers

Comments

• balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,490
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Unless there were some witnesses to prove either way, it will be her word against yours. Chances are that it will be settled at stalemate.

There is one chance that may help you ... ask the supermarket if the accident was caught on CCTV. If you can CCTV evidence, then it will be clear cut. A couple of years ago, I used CCTV footage to determine the outcome of an accident in my favour when the insurance companies initially reached a stalemate.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • balsingh wrote: »
    Unless there were some witnesses to prove either way, it will be her word against yours. Chances are that it will be settled at stalemate.

There is one chance that may help you ... ask the supermarket if the accident was caught on CCTV. If you can CCTV evidence, then it will be clear cut. A couple of years ago, I used CCTV footage to determine the outcome of an accident in my favour when the insurance companies initially reached a stalemate.

Thanks for that, I'll get him to check with Asda. Would the fact all the damage is to her car make it easy to prove she reversed or does it make no difference who has damage.
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,490
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for that, I'll get him to check with Asda. Would the fact all the damage is to her car make it easy to prove she reversed or does it make no difference who has damage.

Who hit who doesnt make any different. Its the usually the stronger car that comes off better.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport