MSE News: Nationwide: House prices up 1.3%

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Nationwide: House prices up 1.3%

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
15 replies 2.2K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
"House prices have recorded their biggest monthly rebound in more than two-and-a-half years, says Nationwide ..."
Read the full story:

Nationwide: House prices up 1.3%

OfficialStamp.gif

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Replies

• PincherPincher
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    "However, the scheme has led to lower rates for those with larger deposits getting a new home loan"

Love it, help those who don't need help.

It's the human condition, it's the ugly girls that need low cost mortgages, not the pretty girls who get offers left right and centre.
  • Again?.... didn't this happen last year?

• Well there has been a change in the weather recently!

• DRPDRP Forumite
    4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    rickbonar wrote: »
    Well there has been a change in the weather recently!

An EA i had a viewing with last night (Bristol) said things were much busier now the 'lympics are over.... :rotfl:
  • Yes I know a few properties are selling.

A friend of my mine recently sold his house (subject to contract)
    and it wasn't a particularly big place and at £360,000 I thought way too much in asking especially as the prices were falling - or so I thought, and not that long ago a better place sold for less in the same road.

Well blow me he dropped down to £340,000 (on the EA advice) and got offered more to sell within a week of going to the estate agent.

So some of it is moving..... if they've got the money the buyer that is and no problems.

I think in this instance they want to rent it out there is a premium on places near hospitals which this is; so I guess they maybe let out to doctors or nurses that don't always want to travel a long to work when they're working.

• HAMISH_MCTAVISHHAMISH_MCTAVISH Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent news.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • geoffkygeoffky Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Yes great news for our children...i hope they rise and rise so my children have to pay through their nose for a roof over their heads...thats after 30k of debt from uni that most got for free just a few years ago. What can go wrong?
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISHHAMISH_MCTAVISH Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geoffky wrote: »
    Yes great news for our children.

Great news for everybody.

Falling prices are immensely destructive for the economy. :)
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • They may even up the interest rates ...yippee!

• rickbonar wrote: »
    They may even up the interest rates ...yippee!

Base rates are unlikely to rise for years, according to public statements from the BOE.

Indeed, there are now an increasing number of long term fixed rate products coming out for FTBs:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...buyer-mortgage

As low cost deals like this come on to the market for those with a deposit of 10% or less, then it should start to really fuel the housing market recovery.

Still - both Nationwide and Land Registry have shown strong acceleration this month, particularly in London and the South East.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support