Best card for use in the USA

Hello,

Going to america for a month in the summer, was wondering if anyone can recommend a credit card. As I presume this is the best way to spend over there???

Would preferably like one with free cash withdraws and a good exchange rate, I plan on paying it off immediately on return so interest rates are not really a problem (unless i overspend!!!)

thanks for any advice!!!

Comments

• mbamick
    mbamick Posts: 291 Forumite
    I took my Nationwide Debit Card, and Nationwide Credit Card to Canada & States last year.

I used the Debit Card for cash [no transaction costs; great exchange rate].
    There are no foreign transaction costs for purchases with the Credit Card; it also has a great exchange rate [Nationwide use the commercial exchange rate, which is better than other banks / building societies]; and it provides insurance cover for almost everything with a purchase value gretaer than £50.00.

Have a great trip.
  • tux130582
    tux130582 Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks for the advice, Im with natwest at the moment, so I guess I will have to open an account with nationwide,

I take it there is not a credit card that doesnt charge interest on cash withdraws? So that I only need one card?!

thanks
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    Egg Money does not charge for cash withdrawals provided you are in positive balance. They also pay you interest on positive balances. You would get charged a conversion fee for withdrawing abroad though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure