Hole in 2 month old cam belt

Options
I had the cam belt changed on my MK1 Ford Focus just over 2 months ago for £170 and have done around 1500 miles since. When i was topping up my wash and checking every thing else i noticed that there is a small hole in the middle, maybe around 2mm or 3mm in a circle. I should imagine this will weaken the belt and make it prone to snapping?

I wouldn't of expected this after only 1500 miles, should i phone the garage up who did the change or are they likely not to be interested after 2 months?

Comments

• client1_2
    client1_2 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I'd just wait until it snapped, that'll prove it.

You seriously don't think you should just ignore a hole in a cam belt. First option is to take it back and find out why. Any decent garage thats done the work will have a look for free.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Options
    How come you say the hole. Didn't they replace the cover?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless the cover is missing what you can see is the auxilliary drive belt (or fan belt in old fashioned terms) so not as important and only around £15 to replace
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Phone the garage now. It was either faulty when fitted or has worn prematurely and hence not up to a reasonable standard.
  • cycloneuk
    cycloneuk Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    How come you say the hole. Didn't they replace the cover?

There was no cover when i bought the car, is a 2003 MK1 Focus supposed to have one? i'm guessing not since been in for a service a few months back and Ford never flagged it.

I will ring the garage tomorrow and see what they say, belt is clearly faulty.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2012 at 8:39PM
    Options
    yes they do images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeIvEkToIU6RbA3-Q7gb-hvOyIQhMF5jR2I7NDaXwcYDahsfxFtA
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure its not the aux/fan belt and not the cam belt?
  • cycloneuk
    cycloneuk Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    Are you sure its not the aux/fan belt and not the cam belt?

:o Yeah it is the aux belt, i thought due to the size of the belt and the amount of pulleys it goes around, that it would be the timing belt.

I do remember when i had the free health check thing when i had my service that the aux belt was flagged amber due to some fraying. Completely forgot about it since, will have to get it changed.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    Was going to say, having a cam belt cover is quite important!
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    i love to do the belts on these focus's they are so easy and people are suprised by the little amount of work involved in changing one (work is made easier by a timing kit but not necessary as you can make you own cam locking plate!).

the aux belt is seriously just a 17mm spanner, pull away the expansion bottle from its retaining clips, and move the pully with the spanner and slip off the belt and replace, remove the engine mount if you wish for better access.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure