Npower Miscalculated Bill

Options
Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to advise here. I set up an account for gas and electricity with Npower about a year ago when I moved into a rented property (they were the cheapest provider at the time). I set up a monthly fixed direct debit, paying around £50 a month for both gas and electricity.

I checked my account last month and was in credit of around £40. I'm now moving out of the property along with the other tenant, the landlord has asked us to transfer the account in his name so I've gone online to check my account only to find my balance at £400 in debit.

I rang Npower who told me that they had miscalculated the bills over a 6 month period and subsequently were undercharging for the fuel we were using, despite me having provided two meter readings during this time.

As I'm now moving out I'm faced with a huge £400 bill which I'll have to pay in one lump sum in order to appease the landlord and not cause any future problems for myself. On top of this I don't have £400, especially when I'm in the middle of moving to a new flat...

Can anyone advise me where I stand with this? It doesn't seem right that they made the mistake and now I have a huge bill to pay off when I set up monthly direct debits in order to avoid this kind of situation...

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2012 at 6:36PM
    Options
    missy3000 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to advise here. I set up an account for gas and electricity with Npower about a year ago when I moved into a rented property (they were the cheapest provider at the time). I set up a monthly fixed direct debit, paying around £50 a month for both gas and electricity.

I checked my account last month and was in credit of around £40. I'm now moving out of the property along with the other tenant, the landlord has asked us to transfer the account in his name so I've gone online to check my account only to find my balance at £400 in debit.

I rang Npower who told me that they had miscalculated the bills over a 6 month period and subsequently were undercharging for the fuel we were using, despite me having provided two meter readings during this time.

As I'm now moving out I'm faced with a huge £400 bill which I'll have to pay in one lump sum in order to appease the landlord and not cause any future problems for myself. On top of this I don't have £400, especially when I'm in the middle of moving to a new flat...

Can anyone advise me where I stand with this? It doesn't seem right that they made the mistake and now I have a huge bill to pay off when I set up monthly direct debits in order to avoid this kind of situation...

Assuming the account has now been correctly calculated based on accurate meter readings then, where you stand is that you owe the supplier £400

If you cannot afford to pay this immediately, then you need to speak with the creditor to see what they are happy to arrange with you with regards to repaying this amount you owe.

HTH :)
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It wont matter about the debt, just get the l/lord to call and request a cot
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • sithmaster
    Options
    sadley gas and elec suppliers can back bill for upto 12 months and you will have to pay this, however put in a complaint about the matter they may take some off, also they should put you on a payment plan if you cant afford it in one go
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    First thing to do is convince yourself that the bill is now accurate. If it isn't, it needs correcting based on accurate readings. Once the bill is definitely correct, you need to call them up, tell them you're moving and that you need a payment plan to repay the balance.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    And on top of the above, the landlord should make their own contact with the supplier.

Its not your problem and they are just being lazy!

The landlord can't use it against you or withhold any deposit as they are not made liable to pay your utility debts if your tenancy agreement states you are responsible...but they do like to try it on!
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi missy3000,

Not too sure what's happened here but if you would like to send your details over to forumresponse@npower.com then we can check this over for you.

Many thanks,

Adam :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure