Fiesta Zetec Won't Start!!

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their Fiesta! :confused:

I've only had this car from 31 Jan (although its a 2003 car) and on 2 separate occasions it hasn't started. There have been no noises/wobbles or anything - I just get in and turn the key, and although it sounds as the car is trying - it just doesn't seem to get anywhere - the engine tries and fails to turnover! :huh: :huh:

The first time it happened the car had been parked outside my flat for about 2 hrs since its last use. As it was 10pm I thought I'd worry about it in the morning. When I tried it next morning however - worked first time! I assumed it was something I'd done wrong... :rolleyes2

Then on Monday it happened again and I had to leave it in my carpark at work until I could get it towed on the Tuesday. It's been at the mechanics all week and working fine for them - its not the battery and apparently the electronics indicate nothing has happened (something to do with an on-board computer?? Can you tell I know nothing about cars!) The mechanic says he can't really know whats going on until it won't start for him - but I work 8-6 pretty much Monday to Friday so it will alway be the day after by the time he gets it - and the day after it seems to always work fine!! :wall:

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

thanks

CB

Comments

• Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    What's the mileage and is it petrol?

Catt xx
  • Hi Catt

it's a petrol and about 52,000 miles - it's a lovely car - but starting to get paranoid with it...looking for parking spaces with enough room around them for a tow truck to get in just in case!!

;)
  • Skint_Catt
    Ok, I have a focus, so excuse me if there is a difference in the engines!

Many Focus' have problems at 60k miles with the coil pack in the engine. This caused my engine management light to come on a lot - both flashing and continuous. When I took it to Ford they put it on the diagnostic tester but could not find any fault codes - as far as the engine was concerned, the engine management light had never been on!

It's possible that this may need changing (if you have one!).

Try Googling for a 'Fiesta Owners Club' (I'm a member of the Focus Owners Club and they've been great help) and try for advice there too.

You can pick a coil pack up fairly cheaply on eBay and fit it yourself.

Hope that helps - no further ideas I'm afraid!

Catt xx
  • thanks!

Just one question - is the engine management light a yellow box thing? (:embarasse really I have no clue! I must get on a basic car maintenance course one of these days!)

If it is then it does stay lit ...I'll have to investigate!

Off to google Fiesta Owners Club!

thanks again :wave:
  • Skint_Catt
    LOL, I can't remember! It's yellowy/orange and on my dashboard is bottom left, but can't remember what the symbol is!!!

IIRC mine cost £30 or so, and fitted it myself, so it can't be that hard!!!! I think the other thing that could cause it to light are faulty HT leads or sparks, but I would have thought the garage would have checked those to start with.

Good luck - let me know how you get on!

Catt xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family