Asda grocery major overcharges recently, check your bank.

Options
clairibel
clairibel Posts: 3,657 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 29 August 2012 at 10:52AM in Praise, vent & warnings
Just went to the cash machine and had insufficient funds, so checked my bank online and I have been charged on the 28th £507 for a £73 grocery shop which was ordered on the 16th, so have spoke to Asda/bank and its affecting quite a lot of people.

Check your accounts. Just thought I'd let you know in case.

Comments

• Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Asda taking people's money illegitimately again!
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • kermitfrog
    kermitfrog Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Azari wrote: »
    Asda taking people's money illegitimately again!

Yeah, I'm sure the decision was taken by Asda at board-room level to rob their customers.
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Options
    kermitfrog wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure the decision was taken by Asda at board-room level to rob their customers.

I'm quite sure it wasn't. rolleyes.gif

That does not alter the fact that there seem to be far more horror stories of people being deprived of the use of their money because of incompetence on the part of Asda than anyone else.

And that's an appalling indictment for a large concern that should be thoroughly embarrassed at their lack professionalism in such an important area.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • clairibel
    clairibel Posts: 3,657 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 August 2012 at 2:18PM
    Options
    I have had a great response from Asda and have had the money refunded plus my original order and any bank charges.

It was due to an technical error with their servers. I am very happy with the result even if I had a bit of messing about this morning. :T
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was at the checkout in Asda a couple of weeks ago. Shopping all scanned and bagged up ready to take away.

Put my card in the terminal, checked the amount, £479.50 !

" Don't think so " i said !! The assistant and i laughed, checked my bill, a reduced item, can't remember what it was now had scanned at £425.00 !!

Having dealt with many a card dispute in my time i always check the amount before putting in my PIN. Flippin good job eh ?
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    I was at the checkout in Asda a couple of weeks ago. Shopping all scanned and bagged up ready to take away.

Put my card in the terminal, checked the amount, £479.50 !

" Don't think so " i said !! The assistant and i laughed, checked my bill, a reduced item, can't remember what it was now had scanned at £425.00 !!

Having dealt with many a card dispute in my time i always check the amount before putting in my PIN. Flippin good job eh ?

That happened to me a few times on checkout, but I always read out the amount the shop came to to customers, so if I didn't spot the item scanning at a silly amount, then that's where you see. It happens usually when you're typing in a reduced item, and you miss a zero or 2 inbetween the code for the department and the price it's labelled at so say a dept code 2345 then it has 0000 then the price. If you miss out a zero it moves up a decimal place.

It can be the subject of a bit of laughter at the till!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure