Mobile Insurance - Phone already broke

Is it possible to obtain mobile insurance even though my mobile is already broke?

I stood on my new (2-day old) Sony Ericsson yesterday. I'm with T-mobile on their Mix-it plan which is part contract, part pay-as-you-go. Looked at the terms and conditions that came with the phone and they say that once it has been delivered, the equipment is my responsibility. From this I assume they mean, if you break it, lose it or it's stolen, tough.

What I was thinking was, if I take out mobile insurance now, and claim, say, next month for the phone, would they be likely to take it in and repair it under my insurance cover?

I can't see anything on the T-mobile website about their own insurance but I'd be surprised if they don't provide it. Obviously I don't want to end up paying too much, but would be happy to pay for a years cover to get the phone fixed and also have cover in case it happens again or I lose it.

Any recommendations for an independent mobile phone insurer if this is possible?

cheers,
JR

Comments

• A girl I used to work with broke her phone. She then took at phone insurance(from carphone warehouse I think), used her sim in an old phone, then a month later claimed for her damaged phone. She got the phone fixed then cancelled the insurance a couple of months later. This was a year or so ago so don't know if it would still work.

I am not condoning what she did and would not do it myself as I guess it could be classed as insurance fraud.

T Mobile do provide insurance and I am surprised you weren't pushed to take this out when you got the phone. I doubt any insurance will cover an already broken phone.
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    it should work as long as they dont want to see the phone if you take insurance out in store, then wait say a month then claim

not that im condoning it
  • Also I guess it depends on whether the insurance you take out covers accidental damage.
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    JCR1987 wrote: »
    Is it possible to obtain mobile insurance even though my mobile is already broke?

Yes - it's called fraud.
  • JCR1987
    JCR1987 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the info guys, though not a problem now. Carphone warehouse do repairs for a lot cheaper than taking out an insurance premium for a year.
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    JCR1987 wrote: »
    Carphone warehouse do repairs for a lot cheaper than taking out an insurance premium for a year.

I suppose that depends on how many times your going to stand on your phone in a year ;)

Good to hear you found a legit solution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure