PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feed a family of four for £20 a week challenge

Options

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Woohoo, the Outlaw's neighbour has a Bramley apple tree and his wife doesn't use them so I am now the proud owner of 2 carrier bags full of them, on the proviso I make him an apple pie and an apple braid:rotfl::rotfl: I will do that later and freeze the rest later today after I have finished decluttering.
    A neighbour of ours brought us a range rover full of logs last night and he is getting some more next week, all free because his friend is a tree surgeon :) saves lots of money on logs for the stove over the winter. I have sent him some runner beans, butternut squash plus a BS soup, cabbage, lettuce, Kale and blueberries from the garden. I will do him a bottle of sloe gin and other HM goodies in a hamper for Christmas, he is in his 70's and lives on his own, so I think he will appreciate that.
    We are really lucky to have such good friends and neighbours :j:beer::j
    Save
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2016 at 11:47PM
    Options
    BB Its funny that you mention the apple braid as i was looking for the recipe that D&DD posted years ago but I can't find it.

I haven't made one for ages. Please could you point me in the direction of the recipe?

In use the dough for little iced buns too which are amazing.
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just wanted to post a quick thank you for all of the useful and inspiring recipes. I've recently lost a lot of hours at work (wages have been cut by a third) and whilst I look for more work my budgets are going to be slashed. I'm single so in some ways that makes things easier and other ways a bit trickier but I'm thankful I have an additional freezer so can batch cook and freeze. I look forward to sitting down and having a good read over the weekend.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pamsdish wrote: »
    Trying to recall what I was reading yesterday that said 5oz protein was enough for an adult anything more was unnecessary.

Just thought I'd have a google of protein requirements as I'm cooking a meat free meal tonight.

An article on bbc Iwonder (so a reputable source) says that the average man needs 55g a day and the average woman 45g. That's less than 2 ounces. I keep rereading it as Im surprised it's that low

Very reassuring!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 October 2016 at 3:05PM
    Options
    phizzimum wrote: »
    Just thought I'd have a google of protein requirements as I'm cooking a meat free meal tonight.

An article on bbc Iwonder (so a reputable source) says that the average man needs 55g a day and the average woman 45g. That's less than 2 ounces. I keep rereading it as Im surprised it's that low

Very reassuring!

Most official nutrition organizations recommend a fairly modest protein intake. The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound. This amounts to around 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man.

Actual requirements will vary with age, weight and activity level.

Plus, while that's the required minimum for health, if you eat a low protein diet you might find yourself eating more carbs or fat to compensate - and might want to keep an eye on your overall calorie intake.

ETA: Also to clarify - there's 31 g of protein in 100g of chicken breast (according to google).

Meaning you'd need around 150g of chicken to meet your requirements - not 56g of chicken.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    B/B well done on your bags of apples my DDs in-laws have an apple tree in their garden and its great but only produces a crop every two years for some reason.But every time it does I also get a couple of large bags of apples .These I pell slice and cook in a little water sweetened with a dollop of honey.Once cooked they are frozen in portions for pies,crumbles etc and along with a haul of (hopefully) blackberries from the woods will make lots of pies to eat in the cold hard January weather when fresh fruit is expensive to buy.They are more than happy to send them down to me as when I go up to London to visit I nearly always bring them an apple pie .DDs pa-in-law is 85 and her ma-in-law is in her 80s and no longer bakes much as she has mobility problems actually standing.So I am more than happy to use them and nothing gets wasted :) Sounds like you have some pretty nice neighbours where you live

JackieO x
    p.s. a couple of cooking apples and some parsnips makes the most yummy soup in the world
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    'soup zip lock bags' that you can buy from a poundshop .These too are a good investment as they can be washed out and re-used.

JackieO xx

I got the zip locks bags in Home Bargains last Saturday and I used one of them at the beginning of the week for my first ever attempt to make Potato & Leek soup.

The remainder of the soup would have been disposed of but now thanks to you telling about these bags on here I have the soup in the freezer for again. :beer: :j :money: :T
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I use the squarish cartons that large amounts of yogurt come in for storing soup in the freezer.

Just as well that I had accummulated a reasonable number of them before putting this idea up on here a while back - as pretty soon after Ye* V*lley have started printing their name/etc onto the carton itself (rather than on a cardboard bit that could just be removed - leaving the carton totally anonymous). So, anyone doing that will have a free advert for the manufacturer in their kitchen - but whatcanyado?:cool:
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Fruball wrote: »
    BB Its funny that you mention the apple braid as i was looking for the recipe that D&DD posted years ago but I can't find it.

I haven't made one for ages. Please could you point me in the direction of the recipe?

In use the dough for little iced buns too which are amazing.

Here you go hun x

D&DD's Apple Braid
    stores018.jpg
    One of our faves is an Apple Braid,looks quite posh, til the kids see it :rolleyes: so perfect for guests.I'll put in the large recipe as it is great for freezing too.
    Dough.
    1 sachet yeast
    15 oz strong bread flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    4 tbspn sugar (less if wanted)
    4 1/2 tbspn butter
    2 eggs
    6 fl oz milk

I find this comes out a bit on the sticky side sometimes so you may need a bit of extra flour to hand *I make this up in my MR haven't tried it in the Panny yet!*
    Set for white bread dough..

Filling.
    2 eating apples
    1 1/2 tsp plain flour
    2 tbspn sugar
    3/4 tspn cinammon
    34 tspn lemon juice
    3 tbspns sultanas

Peel,core and chop apples into small pieces toss with the remaining ingredients.

Roll out dough to 1/3 inch thick rectangle shape.Mark lightly from top to bottom into thirds without cutting!! On the outer thirds make diagonal cuts about 1 inch wide.

Place the filling down the centre of the dough then plait the dough over the top.

Cover loosely and rise for 30 mins then bake for approx 30 mins til golden brown.Gas mark 4/180 c/350 f
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories