PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feed a family of four for £20 a week challenge

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Butterfly Brain, our lidl are doing the meatballs for 99p on Saturday and the chickens for £3 so that will me my meat bill for the week

Lidl meatballs are very dense. I'm at home all day so two is really enough for me. Hubby will eat 4. Mums not here so one pack will do two meals- one with spag, another will be in a curry ( think kofta). The chicken I will joint as there's just two of us. Roast breast and roast stuffed thighs, will do two dinners and one packed lunch. Drumsticks will be chicken and leek pie, and I might make a thick chicken broth with little dumplings

I've carrots and parsnips and spuds in the garden. I've eggs and loads of cheese in the house. Loads of flour and seasonings etc. Going to be a cheap food shop this week, milk, pasta, bread, onions and what veg I need to bulk out
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask a question please, I've been working on this all week trying to get the numbers to work, I have a bit of time on my hands :D

Im veggie so have been using the love food/hate waste food meat portion sizes which 1kg of mince would give me a 3 meals for a family of 4.
    Whats the criteria for serving sizes for this challenge please.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    B/B we are sisters under the skin of similar ilk :):):)

JackieO xx
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    Can I ask a question please, I've been working on this all week trying to get the numbers to work, I have a bit of time on my hands :D

Im veggie so have been using the love food/hate waste food meat portion sizes which 1kg of mince would give me a 3 meals for a family of 4.
    Whats the criteria for serving sizes for this challenge please.
    Trying to recall what I was reading yesterday that said 5oz protein was enough for an adult anything more was unnecessary.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 29 September 2016 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Actually a meat portion is the size of a pack of cards (NHS guidelines) But if you are low carbing you would use more meat.

I tend to split mince into 250g portions and then pad it out with lots of veg, beans or lentils depending on what I am making
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • suki1964
    Options
    pamsdish wrote: »
    Trying to recall what I was reading yesterday that said 5oz protein was enough for an adult anything more was unnecessary.

And that protein is for the day and doesn't need to be from meat

It's so easy to up the protein in mince, stews and casseroles with adding lentils
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

thank you upsidedown bear xxxx
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Butterfly Brain, our lidl are doing the meatballs for 99p on Saturday and the chickens for £3 so that will me my meat bill for the week
    oooh does this offer start today or saturday?
  • suki1964
    Options
    That's lidl Northern Ireland and it's a super Saturday offer ( meatballs ) so check the website We often have different offers
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    We don't have a Lidl yet. There are plans to build one in the pipeline though, directly opposite our B&M but it is quite a way out of town so will need a car to get there.

I am an Aldi addict, but like others I feel that their fruit and veg can be poor, the secret is to get as much of the super six that is freezable and freeze on the day of purchase.

I also love my local market and go down when they are about to close and they start selling off stuff cheaply.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills