PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help Kenwood Chef Pasta Maker

Options
Could anybody please give me any tips? I have purchased a Kenwood Chef Pasta maker, that attaches to my Kenwood.
I tried for the first time yesterday to make pasta, and the only one I have managed was lasenge shaped. The problem I have had is when the pasta comes from the machine, it is sticking together and I can't separate it.:mad: I have used what Kenwood say 500gr plain flour to 4 eggs, and the mixture did not seem too soft. I also rolled each piece that I placed in the machine in flour to try and make the dough firmer.
I really wanted to do spaghetti, but I had no chance.:o

Comments

• belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not sure what you mean? Do you mean that when you leave it to dry it's sticking together (cos you need to dry sheets seperately and yes it does mean pasta hanging everywhere :) ). If you mean that once you put a sheet through the cutter it isn't seperating into different strands (eg spaghetti strands) then I'd think your problem is with the machine cos it isn't cutting properly??
  • mummysdragon
    Options
    no when it comes oput the machine it is coming out looking great, but say for eg the spaghetti on, once i cut it from the machine and lay it down, i try to separate it and its not having any of it, it is then all stuck together, although when its coming out of the machine its separate........I don't know if you will undertand what I mean.
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    I found in the past that if you dust the pasta dough with a little Cornflour as it leaves the cutters it helps a lot, then as the strands come out you have to sort of catch them with the handle of a wooden spoon and wedge it somewhere to dry off (Like have pasta bead curtains everywhere) It may also help to use less egg white and more egg yolk.

HTH
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • mummysdragon
    Options
    thats great thanks I will try that. If I dont answer anybody till Monday I am having a long weekend away with hubby.
    Thank you anybody thats is trying to help me, your great!!!!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    no when it comes oput the machine it is coming out looking great, but say for eg the spaghetti on, once i cut it from the machine and lay it down, i try to separate it and its not having any of it, it is then all stuck together, although when its coming out of the machine its separate........I don't know if you will undertand what I mean.

I understand - I had the same when I started :D;) Loads of flour was the answer for me. Keep flouring the pasta sheets as you roll them thinner and thinner, then make sure they're well floured before you cut into shape.

Enjoy your weekend!

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • mummysdragon
    mummysdragon Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    I am going to try the cornflour to start with see if that works. I can for see I am going to need 2 pairs of hands for this, until I master it lol
  • Robothell
    Robothell Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of flour is the way forward. Two other things may help though, you may already be doing these so forgive me if I'm bringing old news:

1. After making the dough rest it for a while in the fridge. Then take it out in fairly small batches and work it through. Cold pasta is much less sticky than warm pasta.

2. While rolling it out, make sure you fold the sheets in half and put it back through the rollers about ten times on the third or fourth thinnest settings. This works the gluten through the pasta and gives it a more silky and less sticky texture.

Hope that helps!
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
  • mummysdragon
    mummysdragon Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks for the ideas. Right loads of flour / cornflour and cool....so pop in the fridge.

I am not rolling the pasta through a flat machine or by hand though. This pasta maker is an attachment that fits onto a kenwood chef. it pushes the pasta through what looks like a mincer. It comes out looking fine, but as soon as I cut the pasta to a desired length and place on a floured tray to try and separate it, its sticks together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport