Residual Income

Options
HI i'm going to be a nurse in september
if my brother lives at my house and makes £ 48 k per year + does this affect how much government grant or NHS bursaries I Get ?

or is it only from my parents - and how is this different for the government grant and the NHS bursary ?

thanks for your help

Comments

• nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    your brother's income won't be counted for you as a student only that of your parent's.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • MONEY_DUDE
    Options
    nimbo wrote: »
    your brother's income won't be counted for you as a student only that of your parent's.

sorry to be pedantic but are you very certain of this -

im going to be at uni and my bother may well move back in -- on teh .gov site pdf it says house hold residual income

and elsewhere it seem to refer to overall house hold income

can anyone else provide evidence of this cheers
  • Camelina
    Camelina Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Are you a dependent or independent student? If you are independent and maintain your own house and your brother moves in with YOU then the assumption would be that he would pay you rent and that rent (I believe) would be taken into account for assessing your income.

If you were dependent on/living with parents and you brother moved into their house (with you and them) then his annual income shouldn't be included in the calculations although your parents may have to declare any rent received from him as income(not 100 % on that one)
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2012 at 3:55PM
    Options
    MONEY_DUDE wrote: »
    sorry to be pedantic but are you very certain of this -

Yes, I am very certain of this; your sibling's income is irrelevant.

from Direct.gov.

"If you want to get the full loan Student Finance England will assess your household income and base the amount of your loan on that. Your household income is your parents’ or partner’s income, plus yours."
  • Camelina
    Camelina Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    As it is a nursing degree, op will only be entitled to a non income assessed loan from Student Finance England.
    However depending on whether dependent or independent that will determine their allowance from the NHS with regards to bursaries/grant.
    If you are classed as being
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]independent [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]of your parents, no parental contribution will be assessed, but a spouse, civil partner or partner's contribution may still be applicable - unless of course you are single.

More information on independent student status is given below
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    Student’s own income
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]
    If you have income of your own that you will receive during the academic year, this may be taken into account in the assessment of your NHS Bursary entitlement. However, you should note that income / earnings from work done in the evenings, weekends and during holidays whilst you are in training will NOT be taken into account and you do not have to declare such income in your bursary application, unless you will be attending a part-time course.
    If you receive income from other sources such as:
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]self-employment income or profits,

 pensions,

 bank or building society interest,

 income from renting out property or from a lodger,

 dividends, and

 taxable benefits (such as Incapacity Benefit)…

…these will be taken into account if they are taxable;
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport