Real-life MMD: Should I cut back so I can sponsor a marathon run?

Comments

• Charity is all about those who have giving to those who need. Your relative needs to understand that you are not one of the "haves" and therefore should not be presumed upon. If you can manage a small donation, why not tell him you'll make a donation to the charity directly and explain why.
  • cheerful
    cheerful Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A sponsored event such as a half marathon is simply an advertisement for the charity. The actual running does not benefit anyone other than the runner. For this reason I do not sponsor people but regularly donate to charities of my choice. A charity is not more deserving of money just because someone is doing a sponsored event.

If a person organises a socially beneficial activity such as a jumble sale, fete, renovation of communal area, etc then I am inclined to participate or donate.
  • I'm a runner. I twice ran for Cancer Research, then once for a local hospice. Now I just run for myself. As someone else said; it's my hobby, why should someone else pay for me to do what I enjoy? I got to hating asking people to part with their money for something that I wanted to support. Personally, I think it's high time charities stopped using running as a way of raising money. It actually puts many people off running races in the first place because they feel obliged to raise money. After all, it doesn't happen with cycle races, triathlons etc., so why should running take the brunt? Of course, this is just my personal view.
  • Jamcaj
    Jamcaj Posts: 18 Forumite
    If the reasons for not sponsoring him are because you are short of money but you feel it is a good worthwhile charity that you believe in then you should be honest with him.
    You could as an alternative offer to take a sponsor form and help get sponsors or him which could then raise more money than you would have given in the first place and also showing that you are supporting him.
  • Hels50
    Hels50 Posts: 28 Forumite
    I never sponsor anyone for anything. I don't understand the link between someone running a marathon and me donating money to charity. If they want to run a marathon, fine. If I want to give to charity, I will (depending on whether I wish to support a charity and whether I have the money to spare!). But I don't understand how the two are connected.
  • If you know a year in advance that your relative is running a half marathon you have plenty of time to think about whether to sponsor him or her, also plenty of time to train for one yourself as then you will understand that you don't just turn up on the day and 'take' other peoples sponsorship money, but it is a big commitment and the easy part is parting with £10 sponsorship money and feeling good that you have helped a worthy cause and showed appreciation that someone 'else' is willing to do the hard work and train, eat healthily, sacrifice time and effort, and keep focussed on turning up on that day even if it is only for a measly sponsorship amount. Just think that when they signed up to do it they didn't make it conditional on how much money they raised, because every penny counts. However, I have never run a half-marathon so who am I to say, but fair dos you know every year what is coming so you should something figured out by then.
    Okay, charity does begin at home, always has always should and hopefully always will be. But if you have no home, residence, family, friends or are in a dire state which is no fault of your own I am torn between what the right thing to do is. Obviously, the money doesn't just fall out of the sky and become available, it has to come from somewhere usually your bank account. So if you want or feel pressurised or guilty and decide to donate to charity, then does that mean that your children or yourself or other people go without. Each charity and event deserves individual consideration, you should never feel pressurised into giving to charity or anything else because we are responsible for our own actions. If I could suggest anything sensible it would be that if you do have any spare cash give when you are not being asked and when you are approached you can just say that you've already donated what you consider within your budget to charity and if they want to know where you can either tell them or not. If you want to give, the clue's in the word GIVE so better to when and if it suits you than when being asked. Can I just add you do not have to give. Some things are appreciated much more than money and indeed are worth more than money. I'd just like to thank the many people who have posted interesting things which I read everyday because I don't know how to thank the way everyone does (bit thick see).

Tesco Credit Card £250 £25 DD 0% for next 10 months.

Barclaycard Initial £241.45 0% for next 7 mths.
    Your parents choose your beginning....
    .... you get to choose the ending.
  • No. He's doing a marathon which he enjoys. Running for charity has probably got him a place in it, why should you pay for that. I give to charity but I hate the emotional blackmail that comes along with sponsoring friends/relatives/workmates which, let's face it, is what it relies on
  • 41_and_i_know_it
    41_and_i_know_it Posts: 512 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2012 at 7:25PM
    Jamcaj wrote: »
    If the reasons for not sponsoring him are because you are short of money but you feel it is a good worthwhile charity that you believe in then you should be honest with him.
    You could as an alternative offer to take a sponsor form and help get sponsors or him which could then raise more money than you would have given in the first place and also showing that you are supporting him.
    I think this is a very sensible post but when I pressed thanks the thanks icon disappeared and my thanks wasn't registered. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else as perhaps lots of people appreciate your post and cant let you know.:TOkay feel like an idiot now cos my thanks registered, how embarrassing!

• On a similar theme, I very nearly sponsored someone to go trekking in the Grand Canyon to raise money for Marie Curie until I found out that out of nearly £3,000 (the minimum that had to be raised) only £1,500 actually went to Marie Curie. The rest paid for flights, accommodation etc. So, in effect, people were paying for someone's holiday!!!! I think this is outrageous and I find it impossible to comprehend how charities find this kind of fund raising acceptable :mad:
  • I rang Virgin Media as we currently pay £110.71 a month for tv 50mb broadband and phone unlimited 0845 0870 reduced blah blah. I spoke quite bluntly but politely keeping the lady on the phone til she went through absolutely everything i was paying for and I think she eventually cracked. Result now paying £120 a year line rental saver payment, usually pay £13.90 a month line rental. Phone call is free just ring 150. Now monthly spend on VIP package all tv channels, upgraded to 100mb for free and spoke to tech support for free to check for problems, Unlimited phone and 0845 0870 reduced as before
    = before £110.71 after £90 even when you allow for £120 a year takes it up to £100 and i got 100mb and my internet checked. Maybe it seems trivial but you try getting companies to budge, we've been with them for years and they repeat the same script over and over again but show them you're human and not stupid but not rude and they will treat you well.:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family