Starting new business- help please!

Options
I've had a really bad time recently (at work) and have decided as soon as I can I want to start up my own business. This will eventually end up in me opening my own deli (with a cafe with great food and perfect coffee!). I am passionate about cooking, am great at making cakes, home preserves etc so want to slowly start off making wedding cakes (or for other special occassions) and selling preserves and cakes at farmers markets etc.

My question is does anyone know of any legal things I might come across with using my own kitchen, will I need it inspecting? Or anything like that? Do I need a license?? Do I need insurance??

Thank you!
:rudolf: I love xmas!

Comments

• seaweasel
    seaweasel Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    Speak to your local Business Link, I think they're the local enterprise people for England. They might have some information on their website too. Depending on your age there's also the Prince's Trust.
  • Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Options
    Bump for good cause!
  • debt23
    debt23 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

If I recall, I saw on Dragons Den that great guy, Levi Roots, and he was making his Reggae Reggae sauce in his kitchen at home.

The Dragons asked him about this, and he said he had a license from the environmental agency to use his kitchen - so i would think maybe give them a call.

Also, as an aside, have you read the E-myth revisited by Michael Gerber - its about running and starting a business etc, and you'll see why I mention it if you do get a copy!

Wish you the very best for this idea

Debt23
    Total debt: £69,887 DFD: 2028

"Is there anybody in the World that I don't owe money to?"
  • debt23
    debt23 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Arrrrr,

Now you've stated me - I cant stop singing that Reggae Reggae sauce song !!!!!
    Total debt: £69,887 DFD: 2028

"Is there anybody in the World that I don't owe money to?"
  • vickypink
    vickypink Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    debt23 wrote: »
    Arrrrr,

Now you've stated me - I cant stop singing that Reggae Reggae sauce song !!!!!

He-he!!

Thanks for the advice! I'll definately get in touch with them! Thank you!
    :rudolf: I love xmas!
  • qwertyford
    qwertyford Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    You will bascially need to register the premises (your kitchen) with the local environmental health food standards agency. Not sure its exact name but you have to do that 30 days before you open and your premises will be inspected before you can officially make cakes etc in your own kitchen. It might also help to hold a food hygeine certificate. I think their about £20-£30 at your local college and their very very easy to pass. As far as whether your kitchen will be fit to make food, its normally just a matter of maintaining your kitchen to a standard that would be expected. Only thing you might need is to install another sink within your kitchen (or a lot of people put an extra sink in adjoining garage).

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport