porch quote

Options
Just been quoted £3500 for a double glazed 2 sq metre porch - is this about right - all glass no walls.

Liz
xx
I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    whos the company?
    you can buy porch,s for about 1500. so they are charging 2k just to erect it!

and does that include a concrete base?
    Get some gorm.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    local company in kettering and yes includes base,

Seems steep to me as I had 3 metre sq conservatory built for £7000 and with with walls - much bigger job.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    get a local builder to quote for a base and erection of the porch.
    approx 2 days labour? (3 days max).
    you will supply the porch.
    Get some gorm.
  • Zingara
    Zingara Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one horrified at the price of a porch! We had a conservatory done last year and looking at a porch for this year. I, rather stupidly, thought that as it was less than a quarter the size of the conservatory it would be roughly quarter the price!

Had two quotes for a porch with dwarf walls and came in between £4000 and £5000. Not impressed and not sure it is worth it and will add much value to the house, which isn't hugely important but it would be nice.

Not sure of a local builder approach as I don't really know anyone reliable, so am toying with the idea of trying to beat the price down or giving up completely.

Karen
    x
  • ezze
    ezze Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Try the diy route
    if you are not a great diy expert you could always project manage the job and employ local builders and fitters
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport