Staying cool in this hot weather

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    I have the bedroom window open to keep the temperature down and a fan overnight. Very wet here today but still too warm.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Fruball wrote: »
    One trick when using a fan is to put a dish of water in front of it so the air blows accross the water - it is similar to the effect of a breeze over a lake so it cools the air more effectively. You could put ice in the water too. This is how expensive Air Coolers work (cheaper than Air Conditioners but still expensive)

A plant mister is good for spraying onto the skin - evaporative cooling :)

We converted the loft in our old house, and despite having very good (Kingspan) insulation it still got very warm up there in the summer. Before we bought an air conditioner unit I used to just have a normal fan, and I used to freeze 2 x 2 litre plastic bottles of water and stand them in front of the fan when it was on.

But the air-con unit was great - didn't have to use it all the time but it cooled the placed down fast when needed.
  • sophlowe45
    sophlowe45 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    thanks everyone for your ideas, I went to a friends house and it was much cooler, she didn't even have a fan on. Am back to having my fan on with a bowl of cold water in front of it.
  • kitschkitty
    kitschkitty Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Put your underwear in the fridge

surely it's cooler not to wear any at all.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    sophlowe45 wrote: »
    thanks everyone for your ideas, I went to a friends house and it was much cooler, she didn't even have a fan on. Am back to having my fan on with a bowl of cold water in front of it.

Maybe her house has a cooler aspect? My main living rooms face north and east. Bitter in winter but blissful at this time of year, they are cool and comfortable.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    We have a portable air con unit which helps, but still struggles (it was 32 degrees here yesterday). The last 2 days we have left it on overnight, otheriwise the apartment wouldn't cool down at all - there's no wind and the temp didn't drop much outside.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • londonsurrey
    londonsurrey Posts: 2,444 Forumite
    I wear loose summer dresses with no waist gather, there are no pockets of warm air trapped. Essentially, the opposite of what I wear to keep warm in winter, where everything is gathered to stop draughts - ankles, waist, neck, wrists! :D

I also wet my hair - lost my water bottle, and got quite overheated at the garden centre yesterday. Approached a man watering the plants, and asked to borrow the hose for two seconds. Drenched my hair, and oh bliss! I was fine after that, and it all dried out very quickly.
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Put your underwear in the fridge

Just remember to take it off first.
  • Socks in the fridge really works!

Also in the past I've put spoons in the freezer to cool down my eyes and face, and running wrists under cold water works too.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Keeping you shower gel/shampoo and face cream in the fridge is also quite nice on hot mornings.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback