Spouse Pensions After Death

Options
2»

Comments

• LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the option for a male teacher to choose a reduced level of pension so that his widow would be entitled to 50% was in place by the end of 1965, as my grandfather did this.
    Automatic entitlement to 50% pension for widowers of female teachers was brought in in 1988, but you were given the option to "buy in" that right if you were a full time teacher at that time - I think there was a window of about a year to opt in.
    Anyone who did do this should check their pension statement carefully, I found mine did not include the payment in the level of family benefit stated - I had to ring up to get the TPS to do a "manual calculation".
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,578 Forumite
    Options
    NHS was the same re widowers - it is only service since 1988 that counts towards a widowers pension whereas it all counts towards a widow's pension..
  • PennyForThem_2
    PennyForThem_2 Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a letter dated around 2002 that states that the Government had to reconsider withdrawing the 'inheritance' of SERPS as not enough notice had been given for affected partners to have instigated alternative arrangements.

So yes, expecting 70% of my husband's SERPS. (I have deferred statepension - forecast = no mention but then husband not dead at that time).
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LHW99 wrote: »
    I think the option for a male teacher to choose a reduced level of pension so that his widow would be entitled to 50% was in place by the end of 1965, as my grandfather did this.
    Automatic entitlement to 50% pension for widowers of female teachers was brought in in 1988, but you were given the option to "buy in" that right if you were a full time teacher at that time - I think there was a window of about a year to opt in.
    Anyone who did do this should check their pension statement carefully, I found mine did not include the payment in the level of family benefit stated - I had to ring up to get the TPS to do a "manual calculation".

For teachers' pensions, service after 1972 counts for family benefits (for a male married to a female) unless you bought extra years at the time of marriage.

https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/m...have-gone.aspx
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    I've been recently widowed and was receiving about £70 SRP, as I paid Married Women's Reduced Rate stamp. I've been told this will "substantially increase", based on my late husband's contributions, but I can't find this info on any web site.

He was almost 76, and was contracted out, so not paying SERPS, and I'm 68. Any info would be gratefully received.

xx
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    Options
    I've been recently widowed and was receiving about £70 SRP, as I paid Married Women's Reduced Rate stamp. I've been told this will "substantially increase", based on my late husband's contributions, but I can't find this info on any web site.

He was almost 76, and was contracted out, so not paying SERPS, and I'm 68. Any info would be gratefully received.
    xx

this might be better if reposted or moved across to the Pensions board.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure