buy cigarettes in France?

Options
I am sure i saw somebody give some advice about buy nice and cheap cigarettes in France, and also how much each person can carry, but i couldn't find it again, could somebody help? thanks.

Comments

• littleowl
    littleowl Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Benson and Hedges cost 4.60 Euros for 20 (£2.85). You can buy as many as you wish as long as they are for your own consumption. In other words the Customs may look askance if you bring in different brands as they would probably not be for your own use.
  • DaveHemmerman
    Options
    Hi i maybe wrong but like above post says no limit but i have seen/heard around 3200 cigs is usually ok, i bring this back most times and never had a problem! (Touches wood)
  • jadejie
    jadejie Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    thanks guys. what about £24 for 200 cigs? anyone heard that? i don't know why this loged my head....
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    There is no formal limit, but they must be for your own use. Customs suggest that 3200 is the maximum they will accept without a major argument which they will win anyway.
  • missdotty
    missdotty Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    hi just to let you know fags in france not that much of a bargain you need to go to belguim it takes about 35mins to get to off the ferry or train as for prices check out http://www.tobacco-alley.be/products.html
  • Wolfhound
    Wolfhound Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Just back from Spain and south of France yesterday. I was looking for Superkings, 5 Euros a packet in France, 3 Euros in Spain and 1.90 a packet in Andorra... a two hour drive from where we were staying but well worth it.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quick point wolfhound, if you purchased tobbaco goods in the andorra they would have been duty free and as such you would only be entitled to bring 200 cigs back without paying the VAT & Duty on them.

all the best

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • bomber2
    bomber2 Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wolfhound wrote: »
    Just back from Spain and south of France yesterday. I was looking for Superkings, 5 Euros a packet in France, 3 Euros in Spain and 1.90 a packet in Andorra... a two hour drive from where we were staying but well worth it.

do they have a customs checkpoint on the spain/andorra border
  • Wolfhound
    Wolfhound Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yes bomber2, as phatbear pointed out the allowance is 200 each. You have to pass through customs.We hadn't given it a thought.
    The guy in the shop told us about our allowance
    AFTER we had bought the cig's. Luckily we didn't have that many and the customs guy's were too busy standing smoking to check any cars.
    Some great bargains with spirits too, £4.50 for a litre of Smirnoff :beer:
  • waster_2
    waster_2 Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    bomber2 wrote: »
    do they have a customs checkpoint on the spain/andorra border

You'd need to pay duty as you ener the UK if EU tax/duty has not been paid on them above the non EU allowance of 200 cigarettes.

Had duty been paid on the Andorra Spain border then EU duty is paid and no UK duty due. But, always remember to get a receipt that EU duty has been paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure