We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Letter after asking for list of bank charges

Options
Hi All,

I have got an account with HFC and recently i wrote to them asking for a list of bank charges made to my account, using the first template letter and £10 cheque. I received a letter saying:

Thank you for your letter of complaint regarding the fees and charges, which have been aplied to your personal loan plus.

You have stated in your letter that you believe the default charges are contrary to the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999 and that these charges are disproportionately high, and the bank is only able to cover actual costs incured for breach of contract.

as you are aware, the OFT has investigated the level of default charges in the credit card industry. however, your account does not relate to a credit card agreement and therefore it is not covered by the scope of the OFT's investigation

Default charges are incurred if customers do not make the required minimum payment by the payment du date, or if a payment to their account is returned unpaid. we beleive that the charges imposed by HFC Bank Ltd are fair and reasonable and the circumstances in which they apply are clearly set out in the terms and conditions (of the account).

I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. I regret that we are not prepared to make any refund of default charges, or provide any compensation payment.

It is important that your issues are fully addressed. therefore, if you have any further queries relating to this matter, or remain dissatisfied, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will arrange for your complaint to be escalated. alternatively, you may follow the steps detaild on our internal complaint procedure.

As you are aware, HFC Bank is a member of the financial ombudsman service and ultimately, you have the right to refer your complaint to them as an independent adjudicator in disputes between banks and their customers.

I would also like to advise you that unless I hear from you within the next 8 weeks, I will assume the matter is resolved to your satisfaction and my files will be closed.

What should I do now??

Thanks
Loffty

Comments

• Twinkly
    Twinkly Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Options
    loftty wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have got an account with HFC and recently i wrote to them asking for a list of bank charges made to my account, using the first template letter and £10 cheque. I received a letter saying:

Thank you for your letter of complaint regarding the fees and charges, which have been aplied to your personal loan plus.

You have stated in your letter that you believe the default charges are contrary to the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999 and that these charges are disproportionately high, and the bank is only able to cover actual costs incured for breach of contract.

as you are aware, the OFT has investigated the level of default charges in the credit card industry. however, your account does not relate to a credit card agreement and therefore it is not covered by the scope of the OFT's investigation

Default charges are incurred if customers do not make the required minimum payment by the payment du date, or if a payment to their account is returned unpaid. we beleive that the charges imposed by HFC Bank Ltd are fair and reasonable and the circumstances in which they apply are clearly set out in the terms and conditions (of the account).

I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. I regret that we are not prepared to make any refund of default charges, or provide any compensation payment.

It is important that your issues are fully addressed. therefore, if you have any further queries relating to this matter, or remain dissatisfied, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will arrange for your complaint to be escalated. alternatively, you may follow the steps detaild on our internal complaint procedure.

As you are aware, HFC Bank is a member of the financial ombudsman service and ultimately, you have the right to refer your complaint to them as an independent adjudicator in disputes between banks and their customers.

I would also like to advise you that unless I hear from you within the next 8 weeks, I will assume the matter is resolved to your satisfaction and my files will be closed.

What should I do now??

Thanks
    Loffty

What a ridiculous fob off. It irritates me the way banks assume you havent a clue what you are doing and that you will believe everything they say.

Write advising that since they have completely misread your letter you would like to point out that you have made a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 1998 and have paid the statutory fee for this request. Further that despite their informative but in places irrelevant reply they have failed in their obligation to supply this information and now have X amount of days to comply with this request. ( X being however many days are left out of the 40 they are allowed since your initial letter.) Oh and that this failure constitutes a breach of the Data Protection Act for which banks are currently under investigation and may face prosecution.

:)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is a holding letter the banks are putting out on receipt of any letter regarding bank charges.

If its getting close to the 40 days the bank has to provide the statements/information send off the letter below, or have you checked if you can get the statements online?

Originally Posted by Rex_Mundi viewpost.gif
    Send THIS LETTER to the bank recorded delivery.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints.aspx
  • Twinkly
    Twinkly Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Options
    This is a holding letter the banks are putting out on receipt of any letter regarding bank charges.

If its getting close to the 40 days the bank has to provide the statements/information send off the letter below, or have you checked if you can get the statements online?

Originally Posted by Rex_Mundi viewpost.gif
    Send THIS LETTER to the bank recorded delivery.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints.aspx

if my advice was in any way incorrect I apologise
  • loftty_2
    loftty_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you both for your quick responses, I will send the letter straight away. What happens if they send a letter of the same back to me again?

Thanks again,

Loftty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills