http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/

Options
I have been getting several marketing calls a day from Virgin media (Well they say they are) plus other companys, i did a search and came across this site:http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ is it genuine?

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Genuine, yes. Pointless, yup. They cannot stop calls from firms calling you from overseas, or those you have a pre-existing relationship with. Register anyway, and see if you spot any difference!
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agree that there are the drawbacks mentioned in the above post but in my view worth doing anyway and cut out a significant number of calls. Takes a month or so to kick in after registration.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    diddldonna wrote: »
    is it genuine?

Yes its the real thing unlike some that impersonate it.;)

MSE recommends its use : http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk#calls
  • ktothema
    ktothema Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    We kept getting calls like these and TPS has really helped cut most nuisance calls out. I got a couple of virgin ones too before signing up - but on my mobile, worrying as they had my partners details but my number. The only place where these details could have crossed is on our mortgage application. Would like to think my bank didn't sell this data and that it's a dodgy data farming exercise...
    Data protection is there for you, not for companies to hide behind
  • diddldonna
    diddldonna Posts: 318 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 12 August 2012 at 4:47PM
    Options
    Thanks i signed up and see if that helps.

A lady called again this morning and my husband said are you a marketing call and she said no and went on and said she was from virgin and can offer a deal on a mobile phone. So my husband said so you are a marketing call then, she said no again. My husband said i do not have or need a mobile phone and she got all confussed and said do you have a contract or pay as you go, my husband said again i dont have one, she then said to someone in the back ground, he doenst have a mobile phone and a man said everyone has mobile phones and then she come back and repeated do you have a contract or pay as you go. So my husband ended with i do not care or need a mobile phone from you and if i did i would go buy one in the shop with someone who understood what they was talking about and slammed down the phone. (Yes my husband does have a mobile but its a work one and contracted by work so he doesnt need or want a personal one). I suspect we will get another one soon.

What makes me angry as one lady tried getting my daughter to say yes to a mobile phone on the phone and shes only 13, so i have given her simple instructions on to just put the phone down if she answers one of these calls. My husband on the other hand likes to wind them up.

I am getting fed up with it, i dont want to buy anything over the phone or at my door or being jumped on in the street, if i want to buy something i will go and research in myself.

On another note a year ago a lady came to my door about some chariety and wanted my card details to put on the form and i said no way and sorry i was calling the police as was worried. The police came and i explained what had happened and he contacted the neighbours and one lady had passed on her details and a large amount of money was taken bit by bit from her account. So i will never do anything over the phone, door etc. and try and educate others not to do the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure