Dishwasher v Washer/Dryer Conundrum

Options
I'm moving into a flat that currently has no white goods, but has space for either a washer/dryer (was one previously) or a dishwasher. There is a launderette 5 minutes away - £2 for self service wash and about a fiver for full service wash & dry. I'll be living alone so I'm probably talking maximum 2 loads a week (I have a lot of clothes so can go a while without needing anything twice!). Because I'm ground floor the hot water pressure isn't good so filling the sink for dishes takes ages. Would probably have dishwasher on every 2nd or 3rd day.

What should I be thinking about when comparing the costs/benefits of either machine? (initial outlay, long-term costs, environmental impact)

Will putting in a dishwasher (removing option of washer-dryer) put buyers off when I sell?

Oh, and are there any good deals on either machine around at the moment (under £300)?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,002 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Will putting in a dishwasher (removing option of washer-dryer) put buyers off when I sell?

Live in the house as you want it, when you sell the new owners can fit what they like.

Personally I would go for the washer/dryer. You may have loads of clothes but you can bet the one you want to wear will always be in the washing pile. Also, even living on your own, the bedding and towels still need washing.

You can get small dishwashers that sit on the worktop rather than fit underneath. This may be more economical than filling a whole dishwasher.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • missmac
    missmac Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I live on my own in a flat and space is at a premium too and I choose a washer/dryer over a dishwasher.

My days off are precious esp as I work 10 shifts at a time and the thought of dragging all my clothes down to a laundrette, making sure I had the right change for the machine soon convinced me, let alone the fact that I had to return back to the laundrette or wait for my clothes there - with only an old woman's weekly mag for co. If I had the space, I'd love a dishwasher as I sure I've heard that they are more economical than filling a sink full for a few dishes. However, even when my boiler wasn't working, I was able to use the kettle to fill the sink and I've never had more than a sink full of dishes to justify a dishwasher.

Try 'price runner' on internet for good deals and I'm sure you'll find a model for £300 region.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport