Sainsburys Online Driver Interview

Options
Hi fellow members

I have an interview next week for the delivery driver role?
Anyone recently been to one and can tell me whats it like?
What should I prepare for and how?
And what questions they ask?

Thanks
ISF

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 August 2012 at 5:59PM
    Options
    If it was like mine for the shopper side of it( mine was abut 15 minutes with a dvd to watch after) then they will ask you what you have done in the past ? can you drive ? a licence ? any points ?

I know knowledge of the area isnt needed(but maybe use of a sat nav would be handy) as a sat nav is provided and a phone as well.
    I also know there is an online test you take but that might be done at the induction.

Sorry i cant provide anymore help.
    Good luck.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    If you go out on an assessment drive just remember that the van is wider, taller and heavier than most cars so keep your eyes peeled for any restrictions
  • Andy63_2
    Options
    ISF wrote: »
    Hi fellow members

I have an interview next week for the delivery driver role?
    Anyone recently been to one and can tell me whats it like?
    What should I prepare for and how?
    And what questions they ask?

Thanks
    ISF

Hi ISF.

Probably too late to answer this in your instance, but I hope you didn't fret about the interview. I'm a online driver for Sainsbury's, and had to complete an online test (it was easy - if you've got an idea of the Highway Code, and bear in mind the limits relating to 3.5 tonne vans compared to cars). Once passed, you'll get a short practical course - it includes a question and answer sort-of-session regarding risks and best practice, before a run around of the vans (there's a daily van check that must be done) and a practical driving "test". I did mine at rush hour in Edinburgh traffic, and loved it. I'd done a very little bit of van driving before, but if you think about the extra width and height you'd be fine.

As to the job - it's a blast. I'm based in a largely rural area, so I get some 100-mile shifts out in the sticks. Out on the road, radio on, delivering goods and cheering people up. It's not difficult. The shifts are good, the timings and drops are generally achievable. The vans - automatic, satnav - almost drive themselves. I've also found that the working environment is a good one. Lots of support, and a good atmosphere back at base.

The downside? The pay's not great. The weather can be foul. The paperwork is a necessary evil. But it's the best job in the store, no question.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 September 2012 at 6:08PM
    Options
    The drivers are also getting the new fan dangled device which should be making they're job easier as opposed to going out to a customer to then find your missing a crate of they're shopping as its back at the store.
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone able to offer any advice or help on the online test for a Sainsburys online driver. Considered applying but completely put off by the 15 multiple choice questions regarding situations in the job and answering the best and worst options for each one
  • markwilkinson
    Options
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    Anyone able to offer any advice or help on the online test for a Sainsburys online driver. Considered applying but completely put off by the 15 multiple choice questions regarding situations in the job and answering the best and worst options for each one

Put off, why?

if its because you can't be bothered then your shooting yourself in the foot.

If its because you don't know the answers then don't worry, there is no wrong answer, just some are more sensible than others. That's what they will be looking for.
  • Stylehutz
    Options
    Put off, why?

if its because you can't be bothered then your shooting yourself in the foot.

If its because you don't know the answers then don't worry, there is no wrong answer, just some are more sensible than others. That's what they will be looking for.

Okay them may give it a go. Had a quick look and some of the questions look as if any of the answers could be right and any could be wrong.
  • markwilkinson
    Options
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    Okay them may give it a go. Had a quick look and some of the questions look as if any of the answers could be right and any could be wrong.

Just think about your answers with a health & safety etc mind. Most you won't know the answer without knowing Sainsbury policy, which you arnt expected to know.
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    Don't forget, good customer service will help too.
  • Stylehutz
    edited 2 September 2012 at 12:39PM
    Options
    Just an update on this. I took the online test and 2 days later it came back via my email "computer says no". Could have applied again with a different email address but can't be arsed.

Just so anyone knows my test was 15 multiple choice questions outlining different scenarios when being an online driver. You had to give the best and worst option.

On reflection a week or so later not to disappointed and not to fussed by an employer who wants to recruit their workers with a computer says no system instead of finding out what experience an applicant actually has.

The annoying thing though is that each store would have a different policy.
    What a Sainsburys driver might do could be totally different to what an Asda or Tesco's driver would do differently
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure