showers ( elecrtic or power shower )

Options
I've got two showers in the house. Power shower for the lady and me and a 9.5kw electric for the kids. I sometimes let the kids use my shower as its more powerful, but they stay for ages using up all the hot water. The qustion I would like to ask is thats the more economic.
1 A power shower using water heated by normal gas boiler or
2 A 9.5Kw electric shower.
Any suggestions
bob ??? ???

Comments

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    An electric shower is more economical.............so ban the kids from yours ;D
  • MisterT2
    Options
    I find that suprising - would you clarify your answer if possible please (I have no idea). I have an instantanous boiler feeding my power shower and so surely it only heats the water it needs .... and gas is cheaper than electric ....isn't it?
  • RedOnRed
    RedOnRed Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An electric shower is more economical.............so ban the kids from yours ;D

I have an electric shower but fail to see why it's more economical then a power shower, when the water's already heated and just sitting in the cylinder anyway??
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "But be warned, Power Showers can use in excess of 20 litres of water a minute compared to 5 litres on an average shower. "

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=showers+use+less+water&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

It's economics really ...........a power shower will use up tp 4 times more water than an average electric shower so however the water is heated (and I believe it costs less to heat say 5 gallons of direct water than it does the same amount from a tank,but I could be wrong)...................it's still going to cost more...........because the two types of showers of the same lenght in time will use vastly differing amounts of water.
  • RedOnRed
    RedOnRed Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh right, the economics are just down to water flow and usage.

I should think the kind of people inclined to opt for a high flow powerful power shower are quite happy to pay the extra in water, but then it should really even itself out as an eletric shower uses a lot more electricity.
  • MisterT2
    Options
    If there was a choice, a power shower would have my vote. The extra water flow is a bonus - I hate those things that trickle.......

Definitely worth the extra couple of pence once a month:) 8) ;D
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh right, the economics are just down to water flow and usage.

I should think the kind of people inclined to opt for a high flow powerful power shower are quite happy to pay the extra in water, but then it should really even itself out as an eletric shower uses a lot more electricity.
    No it doesn't  :-/.............there isn't that much price between electric and gas water heating but since your using/heating 4 times more water on a power shower ...........................the electric one has to be cheaper.

Besides bobaustin states his children really like the power one so will be inclined to stay in even longer using even more water which costs even more to heat up :-/
    Ergo electric shower is more economical than power shower ...........................which was the question at the start ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure