We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Electric Heater Recommendations
Hi all,
I'm looking to get new electric heaters for my flat and was wondering if anyone can recommend any?
I spent a few hours trawling through the forums yesterday, and all I could find were people slagging off various companies, makes, etc. So I know who not to go for, but no idea who I should be looking at!...
Would be great to hear some positive feedback from people who have them and were happy with the products. There's so many out there I have no idea where to start.
In case it's relevant, it's a first floor flat with double glazing. Usually empty through the day so just needs heating at night really. Gas is not an option, has to be electric. Currently have old storage heaters, most of which have died over the last few years. I'd like to be able to fit them to the walls.
Thanks!
I'm looking to get new electric heaters for my flat and was wondering if anyone can recommend any?
I spent a few hours trawling through the forums yesterday, and all I could find were people slagging off various companies, makes, etc. So I know who not to go for, but no idea who I should be looking at!...
Would be great to hear some positive feedback from people who have them and were happy with the products. There's so many out there I have no idea where to start.
In case it's relevant, it's a first floor flat with double glazing. Usually empty through the day so just needs heating at night really. Gas is not an option, has to be electric. Currently have old storage heaters, most of which have died over the last few years. I'd like to be able to fit them to the walls.
Thanks!
0
Comments
-
Fit whatever heater you want, all electric heaters are 100% efficient.I would probably say either oil filled radiators (behaves like central heating radiators) or a convector heater.0
-
Hi all,
I'm looking to get new electric heaters for my flat and was wondering if anyone can recommend any?
I spent a few hours trawling through the forums yesterday, and all I could find were people slagging off various companies, makes, etc. So I know who not to go for, but no idea who I should be looking at!...
The 'slagging off' is for companies that claim, or imply, their heaters are filled with substances that make them super-economical; and usually cost a fortune.
As you are out all day, storage heaters may not be the best option for you as they tend to 'leak' heat during the day.
The main thing to keep in mind is that a £10 fan heater or £20 oil filled radiator from Argos produces exactly the same amount of heat as any other electrical heater (for the same running cost). So it is really down to your choice of style and cost.
As you currently have storage heating, you are probably on an Economy 7 tariff. If you do decide to have 'normal' electrical heaters you will need to change your tariff.0 -
- night storage heaters don't die .. .. there are only three things that can go wrong with them
-element - cheap
- fuse - cheap
- a stat - expensive
Search by 'nearest first' and you can buy used ones in excellent order for peanuts at this time of the year if you are prepared to collect them yourself.
I agree with Cardew, assuming a well insulated small flat any 1.5kWh or 2.0kWh thermostatically controlled panel / convector heater will do for your needs but are expensive to run if done so at 100% of every evening in the 5 cold months of the year. Remember if you change tariff from E7 your water heating will then be charged at full price, if you are a 'bath per night person' you may wish to take this into consideration.Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards