PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Chicken Best Before yesterday....

Options
I just went to make tea for tonight and realised the fresh chicken I bought went out of date yesterday. My OH said, "oh just use it, one day won't make a difference, it will be fine". I would have thrown it away.

Out of interest, what are your views?
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 607 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
One day maybe I will be debt free :o

Comments

• oakdale_minx
    oakdale_minx Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    If it smells okay, it should be fine.

i'm a bit funny with chicken best before dates, sometimes it smells off the day before it expires! (tends to be the Value stuff I find)
  • onestep
    onestep Posts: 893 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi

I'd smell it; off chicken is *completely* obvious! If you are in any doubt at all, do not use it ;-)
    HTH
    onestep
    When people show you who they are, believe them the first time
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it were anything other than poultry I would say go for it. BUT with poultry I dont think it's worth the risk of you being very ill for the next few days.

Go to the chippy!
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I,d use it, I think these guides, and the operative word here is guide , tend to err on the side of caution, and perhaps a wee bit much at that. Follow your nose and your best insticts
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm wit the eat it if it smells Ok lobby. Onestep is right you can't miss the delightful odour of 'off' chicken.
  • balmaiden
    balmaiden Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    I agree I would readily eat most things a little past their by sell /use by date.(after a good long sniff) but never ever poultry,you just cant be too careful. My OH and DD1 had food poisoning many moons ago after eating dodgy turkey at a function . It has made me very careful ever since, as they were very poorly!!
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    balmaiden wrote: »
    My OH and DD1 had food poisoning many moons ago after eating dodgy turkey at a function .

But, that doesn't mean the caterers had smelled the turkey before cooking it - or cared about if they had.
  • quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just use your snout and that will make your mind up. I've used chickens a couple of days over their use by with no problem but have had foul smelling ones with days to spare that I haven't risked (and taken back to supermarket i hasten to add!)
  • quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    But, that doesn't mean the caterers had smelled the turkey before cooking it - or cared about if they had.

exactly, i'm far more cautious about food that i haven't been involved in cooking.......
  • pudding06
    pudding06 Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with rovers..

I always rinse them first and then do the sniff test. I usually find theyre ok. I cook for only adults now though, it may be different if you are cooking for a vuneralbe child/adult.

pudds
    August 2009 grocery challenge £172.64/,,,,,

no point in doing grocery challenges, have no money left over to eat :0/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business