Amazed at the savings I made!!

Options
Hi,

I am a newbie to the forum ( not the site though, been getting the emails for ages). I have spent the past few days having a good old rummage around the site and am pleasantly surprised at how good we (me mainly) are.

So far I have been squeezing my toilet rolls and have just bought a pint of full fat milk and watered down. I couldn't tell the difference when I drank some but I haven't told OH:D

I have also been to Lidl and bought a few basic things, some fruit and veg and juice, this came to £17.12. I usually shop with Ocado, I have just put exactly the same items on an Ocado list and it came to a massive £7.75 MORE:eek:.

I think I will have to review my shopping habits, we are not extravagant and hubby cooks most things from scratch. I am totally shocked at the price difference on such a small amount.

I am planning on trying the homemade washing powder soon, I'll let you know how it goes, there seems to be very mixed reviews on this;)

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you thought about putting your "savings" into a savings account - it's amazing how much it totals over the year. You could put it towards a holiday or something you really want.

Denise
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 August 2012 at 12:31AM
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    Have you thought about putting your "savings" into a savings account - it's amazing how much it totals over the year. You could put it towards a holiday or something you really want.

Denise

And, in true MSE fashion, the highest interest paying easy access account.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Greendayfan
    Options
    Funny you guys mention another account. I have opened another basic bank account for all the direct debits to go out of, (one of the ideas I read about on here recently) i will transfer what i need into this one to cover all the outgoings each month. This should leave my spending/saving money in my main account which I can then transfer into my savings account as and when, all the accounts are online so I can do it nice and easily. I'm hoping this will help me save more as all the essential money can go into the basic account as soon as I get paid and whatever is left is then for food shopping and saving!:T
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Funny you guys mention another account. I have opened another basic bank account for all the direct debits to go out of, (one of the ideas I read about on here recently) i will transfer what i need into this one to cover all the outgoings each month. This should leave my spending/saving money in my main account which I can then transfer into my savings account as and when, all the accounts are online so I can do it nice and easily. I'm hoping this will help me save more as all the essential money can go into the basic account as soon as I get paid and whatever is left is then for food shopping and saving!:T

I have one main account that at the end of each month i transfer out any "extra" money leaving the amount, to the nearest pound, that is on my payslip.

this gives me the focus to live within my means.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As this is more savings related, and has dropped down the OS board, i've moved it to the How much have you saved board

Zip

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family