Guitar advice please, Ovation Applause?

Hi

I went to the local guitar shop today with my 9 year old daughter to buy hera new 3/4 size guitar, (shes been playing for 2 years on a 2nd hand pink onefrom a supermarket and its a bit naff)

The yamaha one I had gone in to look at was £88.00 but ist wasn’t much different to her pink one. So we startedlooking at full size guitars as she is a tall 9 year old.

She fell in love with an Ovation Applause - this one..

http://www.thomann.de/gb/applause_ae_127_1_sb.htm

In the shop we were in it was £199.99.

I guess what I'd like to know is, is this a good one?

Is it worth paying more than say for a yamaha standard size guitar (pricedaround £140 ish. )

And can anyone recommend this site above or should I pay the extra £30 andbuy it in person in a shop?

TIA

Replies

• Mr_ToadMr_Toad Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Hi

I went to the local guitar shop today with my 9 year old daughter to buy hera new 3/4 size guitar, (shes been playing for 2 years on a 2nd hand pink onefrom a supermarket and its a bit naff)

The yamaha one I had gone in to look at was £88.00 but ist wasn’t much different to her pink one. So we startedlooking at full size guitars as she is a tall 9 year old.

Is it worth paying more than say for a yamaha standard size guitar (pricedaround £140 ish. )

And can anyone recommend this site above or should I pay the extra £30 andbuy it in person in a shop?

TIA

I found this thread by accident, I'm on long conference call :rotfl:

Ovation are excellent guitars but like all manufacturers they capitalize on their name and use it to sell budget guitars and the Applause is one of the budget range.

That said it's a good guitar, I've played one and I liked it. Of late guitar prices have increased due to exchange rates amongst other things.

Take my guitar, I have what was a cheap and cheerful Crafter FX550 electro acoustic. Like the Ovation it has a composite rather than a wood back. Unlike the Ovation which has a curved bowl back the Crafter is flat like a normal guitar. Mine cost £180 new a few years ago now they are £265+ depending where you get them from.:eek: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/crafter-fx-550eq/1400

Be very careful buying on-line, normally it's fine but if you get one that's badly set up then getting it sorted can be a pain so £30 is a good investment as she can try it first.

I find YouTube to be invaluable, there's always either reviews or clips of people playing just about every instrument out there. A quick search for Ovation Applause found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svBD8Ffg7Qw

It sound pretty good to me.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As above, Ovation guitars are up there at the top, but Applause are the budget models.

I've not heard anything bad about them in particular.

But my suggestion is to buy guitars used; that way anything that is going to go wrong is likely to have.
  • thank you for taking the time to reply masonn and prowla that was really helpful.

I think i'll just go for it and let her get this one. She did look so much more comfortable holding it than a 'normal' guitar. And although it goes against the grain i think i'll pay more and get it from the actual shop rather than on line then if anything goes wrong I'm sure I could go back and get some help - the man in store was so helpful (and un pushy too).
    Prowla - If I had a slight knowledge of guitars then I maight be tempted to buy 2nd hand but I really wouldn't have a clue if someone was palming off a broken load of rubbish on to me or not .

I listened to the you tube link, sounds good to me !:D
  • jlg1jlg1 Forumite
    161 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi

TIA

Hi,

I am a guitar teacher.

Just as regards the site Thomann - I have purchased a few guitars from them in the past few years - I can recommend them as their instruments can sometimes be slightly cheaper than some other online retailers....

Just as a side note - for your daughter one of the important things to look out is the "action" distance the strings are from the fretboard this makes a huge difference to how difficult it maybe to hold notes down...

The "action" can be adjusted quite simply-- but is something obviously that cannot be checked with an online purchase - so I would suggest to try a few out first maybe?

Off the top of my head - Yamaha, Fender acoustic even Epiphone have been around a long time and are of similar price range to the Ovation Applause - also another make Crafter (I have 2) these are great guitars and well crafted....

Hope this helps.....:)

James
  • interstellaflyerinterstellaflyer Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Did she try any guitars or just look at them? steel strung acoustics can be very hard on the fingers, especially for a nine year old, I may be wrongly assuming the old guitar had nylon strings.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The chances are that the one your daughter tried in the shop will not have been set-up specially but they all vary individually, so you cannot assume one you buy from Thomann in Germany will be identical in the way it plays.

And if one from Thomann doesn't feel as easy to play, you can't really send it back as that wouldn't classify as a fault. Which means you will have to take it to a shop or independent repairman and pay to get it adjusted to suit her needs.

Personally, I would never buy a guitar mail order - certainly not an acoustic one, as they are harder to set-up. Something electronic, maybe, as they aren't so individually variable as a stringed instrument.

Why not go back to the shop and see if they will come down in price a little? Many will, rather than lose a sale, and if they reduce it you'll have the satisfaction of having the actual instrument she liked and a source of help and advice over the coming moths, should she need it.
    2K Posts
    Forumite
    jlg1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a guitar teacher.

The "action" can be adjusted quite simply-- but is something obviously that cannot be checked with an online purchase - so I would suggest to try a few out first maybe?

James

The action on an acoustic can be adjusted simply by someone who has the necessary skills, your post reads like it's something the OP can fiddle with, also I would say try a few out in the shop and buy the one you like from that shop.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • edited 4 August 2012 at 1:10PM
    scooby088scooby088 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    edited 4 August 2012 at 1:10PM
    All good advice, but nylon strings can just be as hard on the fingers as a steel strung guitar. Ovation are a good maker but has been said applause is the budget end of their line. I always say go for the best quality you can afford.

I started to learn on a cheap £80 one from a catalogue but Soon realised it was false economy buying cheap all the time, once I got better I purchased a martin for about £900 best guitar I have ever played.

Plus try before you buy and it's best to try a few to see which one fits you, But there are a few good online retailers I used guitar guitar or PMTonline they also have store nationwide so no problem in taking it for a set up.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think that a nylon string guitar can be harder on the fingers, because the strings are thicker.

Also, a decent quality acoustic can have a lower action.
    2K Posts
    Forumite
    prowla wrote: »
    I think that a nylon string guitar can be harder on the fingers, because the strings are thicker.

Also, a decent quality acoustic can have a lower action.

You can get different grades of nylon strings, starting from beginner, which are not so good on tone but easier on fingers especially children through to professional quality strings which have excellent tone but are harder on the fingers, a starter guitar aimed at kids will be strung with the former.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals