Direct Debit theft

A few months ago, I switched my broadband from Virgin Media to another provider. However, Virgin Media continued to take their monthly Direct Debit from my account, and now owe me 3 months money.

I tried to contact them, but I have got no where, like being transferred to other people and the line goes dead, or being told that Virgin's systems wouldn't allow them to take money once an account is terminated (so I must be lying!).

Do I have any rights in this, or do I just have to stomach the loss of the money to Virgin? It seems very unfair if that is the case. :(

Comments

• visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    if its direct debit and not a reoccuring debit card payment agreement then you contact your bank and they will refund all monies immediately (or they should) whilst they take up the issue with Virgin Media as part of the Direct Debit guarantee.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    When you transferred ISP did you specifically inform VM to cancel with them?
  • PTurner_2
    PTurner_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, no I didn't tell Virgin. They did send me a letter saying they would be sorry to see me go though, so they must have known. And Tesco (who I switched to) told me that all the transfer details would be sorted out by them. Should I have contacted VM specifically?
  • Yes, of course you should! You had a contract with them and you didn't end it.

Seems that VM are right in continuing to take your money if they think you are still in service.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • PTurner_2
    VM acknowledged I was leaving them in a letter. Doesn't that imply they knew the contract was terminating? I can't simultaneously have 2 broadband/phone suppliers.

And how come I don't continue to get charged when I use, say, USwitch to change suppliers then, as I never contact the company I am leaving directly?
  • PTurner_2
    I just read this from another website:

"Switching broadband provider got easier in February 07 when new Ofcom regulations came in, obliging broadband providers to ease the broadband switching process for people leaving and joining their broadband services using a MAC code.

A Migration Authorisation Code or MAC is a long series of letters and numbers that your existing provider will give you if you request it.

Whatever you do, DON’T call up your current ADSL broadband provider and cancel – the whole point of a MAC is that your new broadband provider takes the code, and manages the broadband switching process directly with your old broadband internet provider."

This is what happened. VM thus knew I was leaving them because the MAC code was requested and the new provider told me that everything was being taken care of. I couldn't even be with another provider if this hadn't happened.

So I fail to see how informing them should make any difference. They knew the exact date that the contract terminated, which was the day they transferred service to my new provider. So their continued extraction of payments for me for a service they no longer provide is unjustifiable.

Is this interpretation wrong?
  • PTurner wrote: »
    I just read this from another website:

"Switching broadband provider got easier in February 07 when new Ofcom regulations came in, obliging broadband providers to ease the broadband switching process for people leaving and joining their broadband services using a MAC code.

A Migration Authorisation Code or MAC is a long series of letters and numbers that your existing provider will give you if you request it.

Whatever you do, DON’T call up your current ADSL broadband provider and cancel – the whole point of a MAC is that your new broadband provider takes the code, and manages the broadband switching process directly with your old broadband internet provider."

This is what happened. VM thus knew I was leaving them because the MAC code was requested and the new provider told me that everything was being taken care of. I couldn't even be with another provider if this hadn't happened.

So I fail to see how informing them should make any difference. They knew the exact date that the contract terminated, which was the day they transferred service to my new provider. So their continued extraction of payments for me for a service they no longer provide is unjustifiable.

Is this interpretation wrong?

Requesting a MAC does not necessarily mean you are leaving your broadband provider. You are free to get a MAC and not move.

I changed a couple of years ago and contacted my old provider to confirm that I had left them..just in case the new provider got something wrong in the switch.
  • PTurner_2
    I didn't request it. My new provider did. How can that be in any way ambiguous?

What is the point of having companies tell you that you don't need to do anything as they handle the switch, and Ofcom telling you that the MAC transfer process is automated and that you shouldn't cancel with your old provider but let the new one handle it all?
  • sithmaster
    sithmaster Posts: 299 Forumite
    You can go to the bank and request them to reclaim the charges back. If you have no joy then caal vm stating that you have bank statments showing the chrarges they taken and you request a refund within a reasonable time. If then you have no joy send a letter to vm head office stating the above and provide copies of the statment and letter showing they kney you were leaving and make a complaint that you got hung up on the phone to the call centre and said they called you a lier
  • ritesh
    ritesh Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PTurner - You are correct you no longer need to contact your current provider if you are switching as your new provider will do this automatically.

However, as a matter of principle I always contact my current provider (albeit car insurance, mobile phone, etc.) to let them know that I wil be moving to ensure, once I am out of contract of course.

Virgin have made a mistake in continuing to take money from your account but a simple chat to your bank will remedy the situation. You can of course claim any charges that you have incurred from VM.
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure