Can I do this?

Options
If I was made redundant August 30th the same day as I went on holidays with 7 weeks pay - do I HAVE to go to the Job Centre etc straight away? - I would not be entitled to work as I had already been paid, so they really wouldn`t be interested at this time, would they?
Would this be a problem?
I am in the lucky position where the money wouldn't be too much of a problem - we could therefore go away and even extend our holidays untill the 7 weeks ( maybe) were up.

Anyone know if this would present any kind of legal problem?

Comments

• annie1975_2
    annie1975_2 Posts: 626 Forumite
    Options
    If I was made redundant August 30th the same day as I went on holidays with 7 weeks pay - do I HAVE to go to the Job Centre etc straight away? - I would not be entitled to work as I had already been paid, so they really wouldn`t be interested at this time, would they?
    Would this be a problem?
    I am in the lucky position where the money wouldn't be too much of a problem - we could therefore go away and even extend our holidays untill the 7 weeks ( maybe) were up.

Anyone know if this would present any kind of legal problem?

Do you mean you had served your notice for redundancy and finished on 30th August?
    If so you can go on holiday yes, and then go to the job center when you get back.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    What will be the termination date?

If they PILON terminating you on the 30 Aug you can claim from day 1.

You are probably best to wait for return from holiday to start the claim.

If the redundancy pay is over £30k and/or your were 40% tax payer you might want to look at a P50 t oreclaim some tax and then start looking/claiming
  • skintmostofthetime
    Options
    Hi thanks for responding, I anticipate finishing here tomorrow having been paid until the end of my hols - the 19th Sept. BUT was thinking that I would extend these as I am in a position to do so ! I was merely thinking that the Job Centre would ask why , what etc but having had more thought o this think they won't care s I won't be asking for `back pay' and have already paid my full Nat Ins to get the pension rights etc.

Got a new worry now but one I think I can solve -they'ed moved thngs around and are now suggsting it's not a Redundancy packagge and so I need to look at Tax etc !! What ho, more fun. Thanks again.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    What are they trying to do.

Are they making you redundant or not?

some element of a payoff may be taxable or can be paid net of tax PILON for example.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure