Unable to download security on Vista Laptop

Options
Morning, would appreciate some help with a download problem. I am using a borrowed laptop running Vista and the free AVG security has run out. My friend has asked if I can update and switch to either Avast 7 or MSE. Problem is that the laptop doesn't seem to be accepting any free downloads. It will let me do the inital 'Run' bit, then when it asks me to Run it again, after a couple of seconds the screen reverts to the original download button page and nothing further happens.

I have had a quick look in Internet Options/Security and the boxes that need to be ticked to enable downloads etc seem to be enabled, although I'm not an expert at this by any means.

I am concerned because the machine doesn't seem to now be protected at all in any shape or form. I did try to download Malwarebytes to check if there were any problems but same thing, get just past the Run bit again and then it all stops.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers for reading.

Comments

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    restart in safe mode with networking and try again. your mate has downloaded a free trial of full avg, rather than the free version which doesn't expire.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Swanseajack
    Swanseajack Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know how to do that, sorry, I'm a bit of a technophobe, I only know the basics I guess. When I ask the machine to restart it shuts down and restarts pretty quickly and I am instantly back to the password/log-in page, it doesn't give me an option to start in safe mode, not that I can see anyway....

Before I restarted I tried one more time with a couple of downloads but it was having none of it. I tried free Avast again and then I tried to download Microsoft Security Essentials but no joy. I got a message this time with each attempt that said a visrus has been detected in the programme. Uh???

Also, I don't know if this is connected but when I tried to restart on one occasion this morning, when I logged back in, I had a screen that said Internet Explorer 9 had been downloaded and was now in use!!! I don't recognise anything on the page anymore, it all looks flippin different. I knew this laptop loan was going to be trouble........oh cripes!
  • waddler_8
    waddler_8 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2012 at 1:11PM
    Options
    It will let me do the inital 'Run' bit, then when it asks me to Run it again, after a couple of seconds the screen reverts to the original download button page and nothing further happens.
    Are you running the file straight from the internet? If so, save the installation file to the desktop or somewhere you can find it easily - then run it.

EDIT: To add.
    I tried free Avast again and then I tried to download Microsoft Security Essentials but no joy.
    If AVG is still installed they won't install. Run the AVG removal tool.

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities
  • GunJack
    Options
    sounds like the seeming lack of activity was either:-
    1. windows update auto-updating and hogging your processor, or
    2. some malware on there not letting you run known security progs.

safe mode:- when turning on the machine, keep tapping F8 until a screen comes up with options for safe mode

IE9 is legit, just the latest version ;)

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Swanseajack
    Options
    Thanks very much for your input and assistance, much appreciated.

I now seem to have another problem with connection. I think I have pressed a button (I'm guessing that I shouldn't) that has restored some factory settings in some shape or form. Now, on the laptop in question, it won't let me connect to the Internet. When I do a diagnose it tells me that the wireless switch is turned off and to manually switch back on again. But...there isn't a button as such, not one that I can find anyway, and I certainly haven't turned anything off. Guess it's just not been my morning....... Any ideas what is going on with this infernal machine......Thanks, Jack
  • GunJack
    Options
    it's going to be a soft swtch, Fn key + one of the F-keys, with an icon of something resembling a radio mast on it :)

• Swanseajack
    Options
    Hi again, well, you have all given me invaluable advice, thank you very much.

I now have my connection back - found the wireless button, thank you - I have uninstalled AVG, thank you - and....have just successfully installed Avast. Many, many thanks, this is such a great Forum, much appreciated :beer:
  • waddler_8
    waddler_8 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    No problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business