Faulty laptop refund?

I bought a laptop yesterday evening from comet. Got it home and charged it etc but it turned off several times and I got so annoyed I haven't even made it past the registering first steps! I'm very disappointed, I don't want it repaired after a day - that's not a good laptop in my eyes. I have been sold faulty goods. Do I have rights for a refund?

Comments

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    should do....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Good luck with Comet!

What you have the right to is having it repaired or replaced at the retailer's discretion - with Comet that possibly means you will lose it for about 6 weeks and then it will come back with the same fault. Hopefully you will not have the same experience as my friend though!!

Who is the laptop made by - might be worth checking with the manufacturers first, some prefer to handle things like this rather than have Comet handle it.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • I brought my latop from Currys an if Comet use Knowhow as there repair people then good luck. My latop was gone for about 4 weeks and got confused when I asked them to deliver it to my office address, they turned up on a sunday and then asked why noone was there! 3 weeks later they delivered it, but after a few months the problem has returned and now I dont have any warranty. But yes if your product is faulty you will be able to return it and probably get an exchange. However swapping it for a complete different brand of laptop might be challenging.
  • kirkykins
    kirkykins Posts: 13 Forumite
    It's made by packard bell. I know that comet are a nightmare for returns but if there's a fault within the first day of using it I definitely want a refund. I took it back earlier, they claimed it wasn't a hardware fault and was 'software' meaning windows was corrupt blah blah blah have been told to do a system restore (already done one) so made no difference :( not happy
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good luck with Comet!

What you have the right to is having it repaired or replaced at the retailer's discretion

This is totally incorrect.
    The OP has the legal right to reject the laptop and get a full refund as it was faulty on delivery.
    The option for the seller to repair/replace only comes once the laptop has been accepted by the consumer, and this is not deemed to have occured until they have had a reasonable time to check and inspect it.
  • kirkykins
    kirkykins Posts: 13 Forumite
    Thanks all for the info. Pleased to say I returned to the store with the laptop and explained. They rang packard bell who issued a number which grants permission for comet to exchange. The laptop was out of stock so was easy enough to get an alternative refund. :j
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    I hope that you have learned from your mistake. Comet/Packard Bell....NO!

Buy online with recommendations from here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure