Home phone connection + broadband

I have just recently bought a new house and would like to connect to a house phone and use broadband.

I was quoted for £130 phone connection with BT and around £14 per month for line rental with evening and weekends free.

They offered me an all inclusive package for unlimited broadband speeds up to 70 meg with bt vision for around £40 per month on an 18 month contract. They will waive the £130 connection fee if i take this package but instead will charge me £40 activation.

I have looked into obtaining broadband with plusnet and it will cost £11.49 fo 60 gig broadband with £25 one off connection charge.

Overall total cost for the 18 months will work out around £75 cheaper if i took bt phone and plusnet extra at around £625.

Was wondering if I could obtain this any cheaper using an alternative provider without the connection fee? Although I only really want broadband, I am not opposed to obtaining cable or sky with the package if it offers value for money.

Comments

• hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    First off check what they are actually offering.
    The BT hard sales at £40 will rise after introductory period, it just makes it sound good! That will rise to £46 p/m
    What they have offered there is FTTC on an 80/20, the useless BT Vision at £4, Line rental, free calls evenings and weekends.
    Exactly the same as me without the TV at £4 p/m i pay £34.60 p/m rising to £40.60 shortly.

It dont end there since migrating to BT our calls have never ever been so high then throw in the useless customer service when problems arise and they will.
    If you can tolerate the disgusting customer service, severe lag and routing its ok, but personally cant wait to get away from BT again, certain things are worth more than money.

You can use any phone provider i was previously on FTTC with another phone line and calls provider https://www.yourcalls.net £14.21 p/m 24/7 free calls and line rental, less than £10 for what Plusnet and BT offer.

Depends what you want have a look at Post Office line rental and calls, then choose one of the many FTTC providers. adsl24.co.uk good so are many other independants which offer better service than the biggies.
  • cmgames
    cmgames Posts: 91 Forumite
    hareng wrote: »
    First off check what they are actually offering.
    The BT hard sales at £40 will rise after introductory period, it just makes it sound good! That will rise to £46 p/m
    What they have offered there is FTTC on an 80/20, the useless BT Vision at £4, Line rental, free calls evenings and weekends.
    Exactly the same as me without the TV at £4 p/m i pay £34.60 p/m rising to £40.60 shortly.

It dont end there since migrating to BT our calls have never ever been so high then throw in the useless customer service when problems arise and they will.
    If you can tolerate the disgusting customer service, severe lag and routing its ok, but personally cant wait to get away from BT again, certain things are worth more than money.

You can use any phone provider i was previously on FTTC with another phone line and calls provider www.yourcalls.net £14.21 p/m 24/7 free calls and line rental, less than £10 for what Plusnet and BT offer.

Depends what you want have a look at Post Office line rental and calls, then choose one of the many FTTC providers. adsl24.co.uk good so are many other independants which offer better service than the biggies.

I have tried yourcalls.net but the website doesn't seem to work. The post office home package includes £60 setup cost.

I am now looking into Virgin Media Premiere Collection. Do you know if they are any good and if possible to get a discount on the offer they are currently running?

from £22.50 a month for fibre optic broadband (60mbs), unlimited weekend calls and 175 tv channels and £13.90 pm for line rental and calls
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    This 'fibre optic broadband' is still FTTC - the consumer does not get fibre delivery, the firms no this and the ASA cannot be bothered to stop them claiming it is.
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Its up and running just tried https://www.yourcalls.net//
    £9.69 p/m inc line rental and evenings and weekend calls, plus cheap rate other calls where other providers cop you.
  • steveproxy
    steveproxy Posts: 68 Forumite
    you discuss to phone company's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills