IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

What are my chances of appeal succeeding?

Hi guys

I forgot to renew parking ticket ( ticket only issued for 4 hours a a time ). As soon as I remembered I ran out to the car park and found the attendant issuing a ticket. Explained that I was here to buy a ticket and she said since she had already issued the ticket she cannot cancel it. But she said she will put a note on my penalty notice that I had come to renew the ticket and so if I appeal it might get cancelled.

I appealed but as expected the council have refused to cancel ( with money in scarce supply for councils I doubt they would cancel it so easily ).

What chances have I got of succeeding in this appeal ? I have no evidence that the attendant has put a note on my notice, its what she said.

Replies

• peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It depends on what type of ticket it is exactly.
    Its worth getting the Parking place order for that car park to see if they have specified time scales etc.
    also post this onto pepipoo.com for extra help.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • LucyfusLucyfus Forumite
    2 Posts
    Make sure you have your other previous ticket that you paid for as it will be time stamped. When you send in your letter of appeal send in a COPY of that ticket as it proves that you were only delayed and not actually trying to get free parking. You are usually allowed up to 15 mins grace to find change for the meter in between tickets .
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Lucyfus wrote: »
    Make sure you have your other previous ticket that you paid for as it will be time stamped. When you send in your letter of appeal send in a COPY of that ticket as it proves that you were only delayed and not actually trying to get free parking. You are usually allowed up to 15 mins grace to find change for the meter in between tickets .

""I appealed but as expected the council have refused to cancel ( with money in scarce supply for councils I doubt they would cancel it so easily ).""

Needs more ammo than this to succeed with formal appeal, assuming its not an excess charge/standing charge where he/she has used up their appeals and its pay up time or court.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • gerkingerkin Forumite
    115 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I dont have that ticket with me unfortunately, but the photos they have sent me has that ticket displayed. Normally I would not bother appealing since I overstayed and they are entitled to fine me but since the attendant told me that she has put a note on the notice that I had come to pay the parking fees I thought I might have a chance to appeal.
  • edited 30 July 2012 at 10:31PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    111.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 July 2012 at 10:31PM
    Lucyfus wrote: »

No, you are not allowed any 'grace period to get change'! There is no grace period with most Councils although some may allow 3 mins or so, as a matter of policy. You would never get more than two or three mins - if anything at all.

Anyway, gerkin, MOST Council PCNs can be appealed successfully but most people are rejected when they first appeal. So you are in the situation I would expect you to be in - you have to wave goodbye to the discount, bite the bullet and carry on with the appeal. If you are not wanting to appeal it on an all or nothing basis then pay at the discount now while you still can...but I wouldn't because most Councils make errors in the paperwork or Order or process somewhere, and many 'fold' and cancel just before adjudication to save 'man hours'.

As PTP said above ''its worth getting the Parking place Order for that car park to see if they have specified time scales etc. Also post this onto pepipoo.com for extra help.'' You get the Order from the Council so email them for that NOW; no need to mention the PCN at all as an Order is a public document you can just ask for a copy of. Then you can show it to pepipoo posters as they have an online repository for linking detailed Traffic Orders. You would be amazed how many are flawed documents...!

Start a thread here:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Read a few threads to get the hang of that forum; notice that they always need to see pictures of the PCN (both sides) and the rejection and any other letters you get. The Notice to Owner will arrive next, which will mean you can move the appeal forward to a formal one as the Owner (if that's you).

Finally you get to go to adjudication - where MOST PEOPLE WIN! :T
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals