motability car?

Options
hi my parents are thinking of geting a motabilty car and puting my name on it and run them about but iv only had my licence 2months can i they do that?

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    You can be the appointed driver, but there are conditions. As you are a new driver, they can only choose a car from a smaller selection (something to do with insurance classes I think).

Do you live with your parents? If not, you can only be the appointed driver if you live within five miles.

Will you be available to drive your parents around? What will happen if you are working and they have hospital appointments?
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And you will not be permitted to use the car for your personal needs. You will only be permitted to drive the disabled person or do messages for them eg collect prescriptions. If you break the rules Motability can take the car off you.
  • garna1234
    Options
    thanks for the help,
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    You can be the appointed driver, but there are conditions. As you are a new driver, they can only choose a car from a smaller selection (something to do with insurance classes I think).

Do you live with your parents? If not, you can only be the appointed driver if you live within five miles.

Will you be available to drive your parents around? What will happen if you are working and they have hospital appointments?
    This is incorrect. My son is 26 and despite only holding his license for a few months at the time was allowed on the insurance of any of the available cars, not just the ones under the 125PS power limit (or is it 120PS limit, I forget). If you are under 25 then you are however limited to the sub 125PS cars. Indeed I got a Ford Focus which is 125PS and they added him to the policy with no questions asked despite being a 'new' driver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure