We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Fruit on a young crab apple tree

Options
fwor
fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
I have a Malus John Downey which I care about, as I planted it as an ornamental tree in memory of a good friend who died in a climbing accident.

It has a couple of things against it - firstly I had to buy one that was tall (to keep its head above the bracken that grows all round it) so the roots were pot-bound when planted, and it's also in very poor, sandy soil.

Despite this it flowered well in spring, and it now has 20 or so small fruit growing on it.

The question is, should I try to help it conserve energy by chopping off the fruit now, before they develop fully, or should I just leave it alone?

Comments

• demystified
    demystified Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    Just leave it be, crab apples are as tough as old boots. Just remember to water it in this hot, dry weather especially with the competition from teh bracken (yes, despite all the rain it'll need watering)
  • fwor
    Options
    Thanks - Ok I'll leave it alone.

Unfortunately it's up on a hillside several miles from where I live and a quarter mile from the road, so I can't just stroll up to it and empty a watering can on it - but if it stays dry I'll try to get to it with some water on Sunday...
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I would remove the fruit to give it fighting chance, sometimes plants flower & fruit well when on their last legs in order to spread the genes around

You & the tree have years ahead of you, give it a chance & remove the fruit
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • fwor
    Options
    Hmmm... Conflicting advice!

Ok, I'll take one piece from each and go up and snip and water it tomorrow.
  • sammyroser
    sammyroser Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    Tree's do well from a long soak once a week, so if possible hike up their with a bucket of water. Lots of trees you remove half the fruit every year so it fruits again the next year, although I've not heard of doing it for apple trees I don't think it would do it any harm either. Good luck with your tree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure