Options
2»

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    top_drawer wrote: »
    I have already enquired in my area regarding rescues and they all insisted that they would only take my boys if I signed them over to their care. None of them were willing to compromise and allow me to foster them.

Effectively this would mean they can do as they see fit with my boys whether that be neuture them (not advisable at their age) to pair them with a female or keep them in a centre for months on end.

I understand that the people who run these rescues are keen to do their best for guinea pigs but I also know that the RSPCA are run on similar lines and that doesnt bear thinking about.

Anyone who adopts your guinea pigs can do whatever they want, that's how it works unfortunately, but a rescue won't neuter without the vet recommending it. IMO your most likely option is Gumtree/ Freecycle but you risk someone taking them who wants them for baiting fighting dogs or some other horrible practice. At least a rescue will do a homecheck and a follow up visit some months later. I honestly can't imagine there are too many homes that want guinea pigs where the adults are willing to take all the responsibility AND will happen to have a ready neutered female, IMO you are looking for something you will never find. :(
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • juliebunny
    juliebunny Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Options
    Our local Pets and Home takes in rabbits from the RSPCA and sells /rehomes them.
    What a shame they don't get on - but if they were neutered, perhaps they would get on better? I don't know anything about GPs, except we had loads when I was a kiddie. I confess we didn't spend much time with them, they were mainly in their hutch or run but I don't think that these type of animals really need us - we over state the need of some animals for human company. Better they have each other and we just care for their material needs....
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Options
    juliebunny wrote: »
    Our local Pets and Home takes in rabbits from the RSPCA and sells /rehomes them.
    What a shame they don't get on - but if they were neutered, perhaps they would get on better? I don't know anything about GPs, except we had loads when I was a kiddie. I confess we didn't spend much time with them, they were mainly in their hutch or run but I don't think that these type of animals really need us - we over state the need of some animals for human company. Better they have each other and we just care for their material needs....

IMO it's not so much a case of them needing human company as thriving on stimulation - many animals have the intellect of a small human child. The less they can express their instincts the more it's our responsibility to entertain them. In the wild animals might be in a larger family group than are often kept as pets and/ or have a large territory with lots of different sights, smells or sounds.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Kaelea
    Kaelea Posts: 776 Forumite
    Options
    top_drawer wrote: »
    I have been offered a home for them at a local-ish children animal farm, I have no doubt they would bewell cared for physically I am concerned that it would be too stressful for them - being handled by small children, all day and maybe not developing bonds with anyone.

Maybe I'm overthinking it all but I just want them to have a good home.

Ta

I think a childrens animal farm is a fab place for them to go, they will be well looked after and want for nothing, and won't end up in tiny hutches in the shed at the bottom of the garden ignored most of the time.

they will get used to the kiddies and the animal farm keepers wouldn't let it get too much for them, they would keep an eye on them after all the last thing the animal farm keepers want is thier animals biting the kiddlywinks

and then you would also be able to visit as and when you wanted,

if this was me rehoming my 2 boys I would go with the farm option .. but that is just my opinion
    A heap big thank you to everyone who posts the comps, your all stars!

Proud to of never used or felt the need to use a chain of any sorts on a puppy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure