We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cordless Strimmer advice needed

Options
Hello, The grass paths at our allotment are out of control. They have to be kept as grass. We have a limited amount of time to get down there, and we seem to be spending all of it cutting the grass with shears. So we thought that we should invest in a strimmer. Obviously it has to be cordless/battery operated.

Has anyone got one they are happy with that they can recommend? Also, any ones to avoid?

Thanks
Debt 1 - Loan £10K (minimum payment £145)
April 2015 payment =
May 2015 payment =
June 2015 payment =

Grocery Challenge April £314/£350

Comments

• squack
    squack Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    to be honest most cordless battery ones won't be up to the job of lots of long/rough grass. I have an 18 volt one with 2 lithium ion batteries which is great for the edges of well kept lawns etc but for large areas of grass a petrol strimmer has much more power
    squaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkk!!!! :money:
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    I had a Black and Decker one from B&Q and returned it the same day as the line feed did not work, and the line broke after 10 seconds of use. I now have a Bosch lithium one that takes small plastic blades. The first few blades broke quickly but the current one is lasting. I must have learnt not to trim concrete and stones. I suspect it will break on woody stems too. The battery is very expensive, and I guess it lasts 15 minutes or more. My neighbour has the NiCd version, and it works fine. Sometimes you get these things on offer with an extra battery, and that is the deal to go for. I saw the Bosch Li drill with two batteries for the price I paid with one. :o So keep your eyes open. If you do get a battery powered one, it is an idea to buy a brand with a range of products using the same battery, that way you can have multiple batteries ready to use. I have 3 Bosch Li tools, so I rarely find myself stuck for a charged battery.

But ... if you have a large are of grass to cut, this is not the tool. It will slice off several square metres of weeds such tall grasses and thistles, but it does a rough job. It is really for edging paths. You might even be better off with a push lawn mower if it is a flat area. Just clear the stones first.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you want to go for a cheap petrol strimmer instead, Lidl are doing one with 3 year guarantee at the moment for £99. It's made by German company Einhell, though branded 'Florabest,' so spares are available in the UK.
  • claireh280
    claireh280 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've taken that all in. Spotted someone at work had a petrol strimmer propped up by his desk - what are the chances? :) Going to borrow it and see if it does the job. Hopefully that will get the rough stuff done so that I can then manage it after that with a cordless bosch.

Thanks again
    Debt 1 - Loan £10K (minimum payment £145)
    April 2015 payment =
    May 2015 payment =
    June 2015 payment =

Grocery Challenge April £314/£350
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 August 2012 at 5:23PM
    Options
    I'd strongly second a petrol strimmer.

We got a Ryobi "expand-it" motor and strimmer head a couple of years back (at the time it was on offer with a free hedge trimmer head, and we needed the hedge trimmer), and we liked it enough that we went on to get a second motor when we wanted a rotovator attachment (we got the motor, rotovator, hover mower, and strimmer with brush cutter option for only £40 more than the rotovator head on it's own).

The only thing to watch with petrol strimmers is that they are normally two stroke, so you'll need a fuel mixer bottle (about £2-5) and some additive for the petrol to make sure it's lubricated (2 strokes are lubed via the fuel), you can get away without the mixer bottle and do it via a jug or into the normal petrol can, but the bottle makes it much easer, and it's much safer to mix in the bottle than a jug, whilst allowing you easily get the ratio right (the bottle has markings for all the common petrol/oil ratios).

I wouldn't go back to electric strimmers (or hedge trimmers) again, as the petrol ones are so much easier to use over any large area, and you don't have to worry about it taking a couple of hours to charge the battery (or carrying a spare battery).
    What I would suggest though, is before you buy a strimmer make sure you can get the parts if needed - we broke the line feed head (the bit that holds the string) on our strimmer, but because it's a common part across the Ryobi range were able to get a replacement line feed head assembly for £15 (not bad as the strimmer has had 3-4 years of heavy use).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure