Having a problem with new hamster.

Options
ineed
ineed Posts: 4,432 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all,

I'm a bit worried about one of my new hamsters. I just got two baby male Chinese hamsters today. Super excited but when they were delivered this morning I opened the box and one hamster immediately started making loud clicks and chattering noises. It hasn't stopped since and I'm worried about it. The other one has settled fine, had some food and water and gone to sleep. I've had hamsters "talk" before, but never chatter as loud and to this extent. It's sitting and walking around calmly and doesn't appear stressed, just making noise. Should I be concerned at all? Thanks for any advice.
I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle

Comments

• KateLiana27
    KateLiana27 Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    I used to have a hamster and he did exactly the same thing on the first day I got him. He was just terrified. He settled in the next day and I never heard a peep out of him again. Give it time and avoid disturbing them any more than necessary (no loud noises, no TV nearby, no enthusiastic fingers poking in).
  • ineed
    ineed Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to have a hamster and he did exactly the same thing on the first day I got him. He was just terrified. He settled in the next day and I never heard a peep out of him again. Give it time and avoid disturbing them any more than necessary (no loud noises, no TV nearby, no enthusiastic fingers poking in).

Thanks, I've never had a hamster do that before to that extent. I've placed it in a quite corner, last time I checked it was sitting happily tucking into a bit of pitta bread, it's still making noise but seems more subdued. I'll keep an eye on him :).
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family