litter tray not used this morning

Options
Grimbal
Grimbal Posts: 2,334 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 26 July 2012 at 9:14AM in Pets & pet care
We re-homed our little 2 year old rescue cat a month ago. She has always used the litter tray with no problems right from the first day we brought her home.

Since last weekend, we've been letting Maisie out in the afternoons & evenings. She seems to love going outside to the extent that she didn't come home at all a couple of nights ago :(

This morning, I was just about to leave for work and found that she had done her business right by the front door (which we dont use to let her out - she goes out the back)

Is this just a one off accident do you think, or is it that now she know she can go out, but can't get out (this weekend was to be her cat flap training session) she's becoming stressed ?

ETA: just found out that hubby cleared up some of her vomit from _exactly_ the same spot only a few days ago. He didn't use anything special to clean it up. He's now under orders to use bio liquid & rinse well. Could that be it? would a cat poo in a spot that she had already been sick on?
"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you definitely sure it wasn't more sick? My old cat Kola used to do these long solid 'sick-ups' which looked liked she'd done a poo! Did it smell like poo? Anyone who saw it always thought she'd shat somewhere - my mum used to say it too, despite me telling her what it was several times.

What a lovely conversation for a Thursday morning :D

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These long solid sick ups are more than likely to be hair balls to be honest.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Grimbal
    edited 26 July 2012 at 11:31AM
    Options
    Oh it was definitely poo. Nicely steaming, squidgy & shaped like a Mr. Whippy. I don't think I can face a #99 ever again......

So, options are:

1. stressed for some reason - heat/not being able to go out when she wanted
    2. going where she had previously been sick
    3. any other ideas ?
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it looks like a Mr. Whippy she has a stomach upset, a healthy poop should be well formed. This might fit in with her vomiting a day or two back, perhaps from something she came into contact with when missing. Whisk her to the vets if they become more frequent or goes on a couple of days. Presumably she is fully vaccinated?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Grimbal
    Options
    Hmmm, ok, that's worrying. The day she vomited was the first day she was out & we assumed that the grass she was eating was the reason for the vomiting.

She was off her food for a few days after her first few days of freedom, so perhaps she ate something then. however yesterday (ie the evening before the morning of the unwanted parcel delivery) she was very hungry & wolfed it all down.

She is vaccinated yes - we got her from the CPL who are very good about this sort of thing & have given us a little vaccination card of her shots (from memory there was an initial & one more - a booster? - and date of next is sometime in 2013
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much: humans and animals get stomach upsets from time to time, it's only one vomit and one iffy poop so she won't get dehydrated from that. Feline digestive tracts are shorter than ours and their stomach is more acidic which helps kill bad bacteria or whizz them through quickly. If you can keep her in so you can monitor poops and vomit that would be ideal.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Grimbal
    Options
    thanks - I'm an overly nervous newbie cat slave so was imagining the worst !
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    These long solid sick ups are more than likely to be hair balls to be honest.

Yep, they were definitely - should've explained myself better :)
    Grimbal wrote: »
    Oh it was definitely poo. Nicely steaming, squidgy & shaped like a Mr. Whippy. I don't think I can face a #99 ever again......

Nor me now :o

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Grimbal
    Options
    It's happened again :(

The little houdini escaped into the garden as I opened the door to put the washing out. Spent an hour out there then came back in about an hour ago. Disappeared off into hallway & made another deposit there :(

Not wishing to be too graphic, but it looks "better" than this morning in that its sausage rather than splat shaped, but it has long strands of grass in it.

We haven't got any bio detergent until tomorrow & I'm worried that she'll do it again overnight.

Any ideas ?
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you definitely sure its poo and not sick? Did you see her do it?

Mine is sick after eating grass and it definitely looks like poo. Same shape, colour, texture. You can see the grass and hair in it.
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport