Rabbits and boredom

Options
Hiya,

I have recently got a couple of rabbits. They are let out almost every day (depending on weather) and I was wondering what other rabbit owners do to dispel boredom.

They have a big run, 3.5ft x 7ft. They have a couple of tube/tunnel type things and some things to gnaw on.

Anything else I can give them?

Thank you.

Comments

• Kaelea
    Kaelea Posts: 776 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have bunnies anymore but mine used to like balls, tennis or footballs

another used to like to bite and toss around a teddy

paper bags filled with hay with carrots and brocoli mixed in kept them entertained

can't remember what else I used to give them .. soz
    A heap big thank you to everyone who posts the comps, your all stars!

Proud to of never used or felt the need to use a chain of any sorts on a puppy
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of ideas out there. Yahoo and hubpages were first on the list. Also a short video which may give some ideas.
  • warwicktiger
    warwicktiger Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Options
    Are they both the same sex? If not they might think of something to do!
  • nonnatus
    nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Options
    I think you're worrying too much and attributing Human emotions to them! Rabbits, and most other animals, don't understand the concept of boredom. If they're awake, they eat, interact with each other, avoid danger and maybe explore a little. Procreation is their ultimate goal, but I'm guessing that's not realistic for you...
    If they were in the wild, they wouldn't be making little rabbit toys in little rabbit toy factories, would they? They'd mooch around all day and when nothing else is happening (and if it's safe) they go to sleep.
    You are thoughtful enough to provide a large outdoor run for them, to mimic nature. Maybe chuck a cardboard box in there to act as a cave / den that they can explore, otherwise don't worry - they are lucky rabbits to be living with you :D
  • glamour-mummy
    Options
    i used to have rabbits and at first i baught them loads of toys and they had no interest in them but they LOVED cardboard boxes and also toilet roll tubes i used to stuff hay in toilet roll tubes and they liked to bite and throw them and get the hay out to eat
  • hayleyc_2
    hayleyc_2 Posts: 220 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2012 at 8:36AM
    Options
    It sounds like you have a great set up already with a nice big run. If you look at the rabbit welfare association website there are great ideas for keeping rabbits happy. One of the things they recommend is trying to ensure the hutch and run are attached, so the rabbits have access to the run all the time. You can do this with connecting tubes if it's not possible to have the hutch and run next to eachother.

nonnatus, I see what you mean, but Rabbits DO get bored. They may not be aware of it in the same way we are, I suppose. I'm sure the OP's bunnies are not bored as they have space and company but there are many thousands of bunnies sat in barren hutches/runs on their own, who are bored. Their owners probably don't realise how clever and funny rabbits can be because their little personalities aren't given the chance to shine.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/
  • yellowbear
    yellowbear Posts: 633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks all. I thought I replied to this yesterday. Obviously didn't submit.

Warwicktiger - they are brother and sister and the boy has been snipped. No baby bunnies over here, thank you!

nonnatus - I get what you mean. Thanks for that.

Glamour-mummy - thanks for the tip about loo rolls. I'll try that.
  • yellowbear
    Options
    Hayley, I haven't quite got the space to have the hutch attached to the run. Garden is an awkward shape.
  • kittykat100
    kittykat100 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    When you put Rabbits and Boredom as the subject line... the fluffy kind of rabbits was not what came to mind :rotfl:

Buzzz buzzz

Life is sometimes a bit pants but occasionally you can wear your french knickers! :D
  • yellowbear
    Options
    Dirty girl! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts